+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HT repair/touch up work

Hello all, I am very happy to have found this forum.

I am a 53 year old man that received hair transplants (HT), and Male Pattern Reductions (MPR) from the Bosley Medical Group from 1989 until 1997.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I fell for the Bosley marketing pitch many years ago, and never went anywhere else for the procedures. Over the years, the hair on the top of my head and frontal hairline has thinned to the point that I would like to get more density added if it is at all possible.

After seeing some of the results of the new technology available, my days of going to Bosley are over, and I would really like to use one of the Doctors recommended by the IAHRS. Does anyone here have any personal experience with the Doctors recommended in the San Diego area? I believe they were Doctors DeYarman, Ross, and Reed. All three Doctors look like they perform excellent work, as I was very impressed with their before/after galleries.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

hi 747! by your user name it seems like you might have access to a plane! LOL seriously if you have the option i would travel to whatever clinic that you feel can give you the best results. thankfully you have come across this site and have some of the best info available to find a trustworthy and ethical Dr. I would suggest doing your research since it looks like you had some previous procedures before and this may possibly be your last chance at great result. I wish you the best of luck!

I’m sure whoever you choose is top notch if they are on the IAHRS, but I’ve seen mostly Dr. Deyarman’s results on this forum. He seems to post a lot of patients with really good results.

i haven't seen much of his work. i chose Dr. Paul Shapiro...just had my Ht on jan 4th.

I would advise you to not limit yourself to only San Diego locations. It's tempting to want to stick to local destinations, but a hair transplant is something you really need to thoroughly research and not take any shortcuts. If you're confident in the doctors in your area, then surely you can proceed. Unfortunately, I let travel and cost get in the way of my decision, and I was left with an unsatisfactory result. Whenever I'm ready for round two, there's really only three doctors I would let touch my head. You already had a go around with Bosley, so be sure you proceed with a doctor than can give you the results you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by bighosedragger View Post
    hi 747! by your user name it seems like you might have access to a plane! LOL seriously if you have the option i would travel to whatever clinic that you feel can give you the best results. thankfully you have come across this site and have some of the best info available to find a trustworthy and ethical Dr. I would suggest doing your research since it looks like you had some previous procedures before and this may possibly be your last chance at great result. I wish you the best of luck!
    Thanks for your response bighose. Yes, I do have "access" to an aircraft , but I prefer not to travel on my "off time" if at all possible. The IAHRS recommended Doctors local to the San Diego area have done some mind boggling work, as evidenced in their galleries. I just wanted to find out if anyone had personal experience with any of them.

I'm very thankful to have found this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and I've been busy catching up on the latest technology in HT. It's too bad this technology didn't exist when I started this back in 1989.

My experience with Bosley wasn't at all horrible. My results were probably fairly average for the time, with the technology available at that time. This time around, I'm looking for more personal attention, and want to avoid the "HT factory" experience that I associate with Bosley.

I know that my donor area is very limited because of past HT procedures, and the technology utilized at that time. As you mentioned, I really want to get the most out of my next procedure, because it could possibly be the last available to me. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Coligion View Post
    I would advise you to not limit yourself to only San Diego locations. It's tempting to want to stick to local destinations, but a hair transplant is something you really need to thoroughly research and not take any shortcuts. If you're confident in the doctors in your area, then surely you can proceed. Unfortunately, I let travel and cost get in the way of my decision, and I was left with an unsatisfactory result. Whenever I'm ready for round two, there's really only three doctors I would let touch my head. You already had a go around with Bosley, so be sure you proceed with a doctor than can give you the results you desire.
    Thanks for responding Coligion. You're right, I am tempted to remain "local" for the convenience factor. However, I'm definitely not trying to "save a buck" because Dr X is $500 or $1000 cheaper than Dr Y.

I won't be going to Bosley this time because I want more personal attention than I have received in the past, and I want to avoid the whole "crank em in, crank em out" mentality that I perceived when I was a patient there.

I'll definitely be doing my research this time around, and will take my time to learn more about the Doctors performing these procedures. Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by 747 Pilot View Post
    I know that my donor area is very limited because of past HT procedures, and the technology utilized at that time. As you mentioned, I really want to get the most out of my next procedure, because it could possibly be the last available to me. Thanks for your input.
    If your donor hair is very finite, then I strongly suggest you tread lightly. Like I mentioned above, a hair transplant is not something you go to just anyone. In your case, this might be your last attempt at getting a desireable result. Consult with the physicians in your San Diego area, but I would also consider contacting Hasson and Wong. They are likely one of the best clinics available when it comes to large, single session procedures. Since your donor hair may be limited, make sure you use those precious grafts wisely before you run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coligion View Post
    If your donor hair is very finite, then I strongly suggest you tread lightly. Like I mentioned above, a hair transplant is not something you go to just anyone. In your case, this might be your last attempt at getting a desireable result. Consult with the physicians in your San Diego area, but I would also consider contacting Hasson and Wong. They are likely one of the best clinics available when it comes to large, single session procedures. Since your donor hair may be limited, make sure you use those precious grafts wisely before you run out.
    Update: I had a consultation with an IAHRS recommended surgeon yesterday, and he didn't think that my donor area had adequate density for a traditional "strip surgery." The combination of my prior male pattern reductions (MPR), and the scars from my old hair transplant (HT) sessions (last one in 1997) has left my donor area pretty beat up. The Doctor did think however, that there might be a possibility that a doctor specializing in FUE could help me.

Coligion, I know guys like Hasson & Wong, and Shapiro are extremely talented physicians, and they're probably the top dogs when it comes to large, single session "strip surgeries," but I don't think that they specialize in FUE. From my research, and from Doctor recommendations, the same couple of names keep popping up as experts in the field of FUE. They are Dr Feller in NY, and Dr Harris in CO. This is certainly not an all inclusive list, but these guys seemed to have achieved "Grand Poobah" status in the field of FUE (at least in my eyes).

At any rate, my head would serve as a great platform, and my remaining hair a great challenge for these Doctor's surgical skill, and artistic ability.
    I'm going to have to fly out for a face to face consultation, and see if I truly am a viable candidate for FUE.

Quote Originally Posted by 747 Pilot View Post
    Coligion, I know guys like Hasson & Wong, and Shapiro are extremely talented physicians, and they're probably the top dogs when it comes to large, single session "strip surgeries," but I don't think that they specialize in FUE. From my research, and from Doctor recommendations, the same couple of names keep popping up as experts in the field of FUE. They are Dr Feller in NY, and Dr Harris in CO. This is certainly not an all inclusive list, but these guys seemed to have achieved "Grand Poobah" status in the field of FUE (at least in my eyes).
    On the contrary, SMG in Minnesota has a lot of FUE work that is available to look at on this site. I would consider Shapiro and Feller to be two of the biggest names in FUE here in the states. I'm not positive on FUE rates, but I believe Feller charges close to $10 per FUE graft, while Shapiro is $6--big difference. Good luck during your consultations!