+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seborrheic dermatitis & fin

What's up guys, I've been trying to figure out why and how I developed a scalp condition when I never had one in my life. Exactly one year into finasteride, I developed an oily scalp, burning, itching, and of course hairloss. I drank beer one night and my head friggen hurt so much after like three sips. So anyway, there is no doubt that the hormonal change from being on finasteride can cause this. I've calmed it down with tea tree oil shampoo, but I still get itchy upon eating certain foods. I still take finasteride and have now been on for 1 year and 7 months.

Now my question, has anyone had any success with lowering the dosage or coming off the drug maybe? Or maybe skipping days in between?

Thanks

Please go see a dermatologist.

Been to two already. No did difinitive answer nor relief.

Perhaps a scalp biopsy may confirm TE? In my opinion, it just sounds unlikely that AFTER a year on fin you just start seeing sudden drastic side effects, with no precursor... have you ruled out the MANY other things it may be... It may be the fin, don't get me wrong, but remember, that's the first conclusion you're going to jump to with all the horror stories out there.

My Seb Derm appeared suddenly after stress as well and is still a trigger of my flare ups. I could go do my treatment feel fine then bam itchy and burning. I would recommend immuno suppressive drugs since it comes from an over active immune system or scalp injections from your doctor of steroids. However the steroids form chemical dependency and thin the scalp skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    My Seb Derm appeared suddenly after stress as well and is still a trigger of my flare ups. I could go do my treatment feel fine then bam itchy and burning. I would recommend immuno suppressive drugs since it comes from an over active immune system or scalp injections from your doctor of steroids. However the steroids form chemical dependency and thin the scalp skin.
    I have a similar story. Mine appeared after a festival in Spain, hot weather, drug taking(not excessive), lack of hydration, drinking alchohol, lack of sleep and stress. Few weeks later i found i had SD, you get the itchy and burning sensation and at times it will be on the side, then the top, the front and the crown. I had a really bad shed, not helped by going to the barber where he scratch it off my scalp.

Medically to control the itching and burning get Regenpure or Revita shampoo as soon as possible. Ketoconozale shampoo was very helpful and was suggested by my Doctor. It's the only issue to control that until you deal with the stress and anxiety. I still get a slight itch/burn but it's not as persistent and happens every one or two days. I have MPB in my family, but i think i suffered some really bad TE due to SD and now i think it's just triggered the natural decline of MPB.

Quote Originally Posted by justbreezy View Post
    I have a similar story. Mine appeared after a festival in Spain, hot weather, drug taking(not excessive), lack of hydration, drinking alchohol, lack of sleep and stress. Few weeks later i found i had SD, you get the itchy and burning sensation and at times it will be on the side, then the top, the front and the crown. I had a really bad shed, not helped by going to the barber where he scratch it off my scalp.

Medically to control the itching and burning get Regenpure or Revita shampoo as soon as possible. Ketoconozale shampoo was very helpful and was suggested by my Doctor. It's the only issue to control that until you deal with the stress and anxiety. I still get a slight itch/burn but it's not as persistent and happens every one or two days. I have MPB in my family, but i think i suffered some really bad TE due to SD and now i think it's just triggered the natural decline of MPB.
    I have no family history on either side of mpb or fpb. I just need to get my stress under control. Also I agree people diss the medicated shampoo and want to go the tree hugger natural route. I am a man of science. Statistically proven methods. The ketoconazole is the top tier for this problem. I'm like you i get slightly itchy every two or so days when all those other factors are not in play and its just a matter of using my shampoo. I also recommend soft water filter and diluted apple cider vinegar. I'm also on a paleo diet. Which as much as I hate it has been a long time coming. I needed to start being healthier. While I still shed it has severely decreased from the month long TE stage before I knew what was going on. I'm lucky to still have any hair. I have another friend with it and they are completely bald. But regrowing with ketoconazole now.

I have no family history on either side of mpb or fpb. I just need to get my stress under control. Also I agree people diss the medicated shampoo and want to go the tree hugger natural route. I am a man of science. Statistically proven methods. The ketoconazole is the top tier for this problem. I'm like you i get slightly itchy every two or so days when all those other factors are not in play and its just a matter of using my shampoo. I also recommend soft water filter and diluted apple cider vinegar. I'm also on a paleo diet. Which as much as I hate it has been a long time coming. I needed to start being healthier. While I still shed it has severely decreased from the month long TE stage before I knew what was going on. I'm lucky to still have any hair. I have another friend with it and they are completely bald. But regrowing with ketoconazole now.
    How often do you use keto? I'm sure I have SD as well. My scalp is red and itchy, and I'm shedding a lot of hair all over my head. I used it two times a week for a really long time, but I didn't have the feeling it helped at all, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by RoomOnFire View Post
    How often do you use keto? I'm sure I have SD as well. My scalp is red and itchy, and I'm shedding a lot of hair all over my head. I used it two times a week for a really long time, but I didn't have the feeling it helped at all, unfortunately.
    It is reccomended you use it daily until you have it under control and then and only then can you start adding in head and shoulders in-between days and move the kentzoconole to twice a week. However it also has hair regrowth benefits. So the more the better I say when you can sit and watch your hair falling out as rapidly as mine did.

It is reccomended you use it daily until you have it under control and then and only then can you start adding in head and shoulders in-between days and move the kentzoconole to twice a week. However it also has hair regrowth benefits. So the more the better I say when you can sit and watch your hair falling out as rapidly as mine did.
    Ok, thanks! Maybe I should try to use it more often and see what happens. My only worry is that it feels like it makes my scalp very dry, but I guess that's just a minor worry in the big picture. Some conditioner could probably help as well?