+ Reply to Thread

Default Hypoxia Here i go again, thinking out the box

So ive heard many times that hypoxic conditions can result in hair growth. If I remember correctly, Neogenic said that their product works in a similar way.

My question for you guys, is there any way we can produce a light hypoxic condition on our scalp? IDK, any kind of airtight balloon we can wear to bed that might limit oxygen from reaching the scalp/hair.
    I know this sounds crazy but I just taking a shot in the dark.
    I was also wondering if keeping the scalp at a lower temperature for parts of the day would induce hypoxic conditions in the scalp. You know, like wearing a chilled ballcap filled with frozen towels.
    I have read that reduced oxygen flow to the scalp helps hair grow. Only two ways I can think to do that is to slow down blood flow via keeping the head cool, or maybe isolate the scalp from the oxygen around it and see if that helps create a hypoxic condition.

Not going to lie guys. Im a bit drunk while I type this but hopefully my point is getting across. Anyone have any other ideas on how to create a hypoxic condition on the scalp?? (something other than Neogenic)

Interesting... can you post a couple studies in which this was tested?

Cutting the scalp arteries induces hypoxia --

http://hairlosscure2020.com/ligature...her-hair-loss/

Yes the article hairy mentioned was one source.

I don't have the links to the studies. I just remember that I think it was replicel or histogen said that after the dermal sheath cells were harvested they were kept in "hypoxic conditions" while the cells multiplied.

here is another forum post regarding neogenic and hypoxia

I really wish there was some way to produce this effect on our scalps. I do wonder if lowering scalp temp would somehow reduce blood circulation, thereby limiting the amount of oxygen that reaches the scalp. I know, Its far fetched
    http://www.*****************/interact...mcelProtection

From my own experience and research, pro-inflammatory IL-6 increases under hypoxic conditions, and DHT also causes IL-6 levels to increase.
    [B]

Hypoxia inducible factors:

1. Pillow compression There is little adipose tissue within the galea, and this tissue is required to prevent cells being crushed against boney prominences. We sleep, on average, for 8-9 hours, therefore the papilla is crushed against the skull and suffers from mechanical overload. When this happens oxygen levels are vastly reduced.

2. Poorly ventilated bedroom
    When there is little ventilation in the bedroom, we constantly exhale a waste metabolic gas called carbon dioxide. This gas builds up inside rooms with little ventilation, so, the 8-9 hours we are asleep, we breathe in this gas, and it's asphyxiant properties cause increase oxygen delivery problems to cells being crushed against skull by our pillows.

I know this is true because, time and time again, have I experienced severe inflammation throughout my galea when it has been compressed against a pillow and oxygen levels are low (due to keeping my window tightly closed). When I leave my window slightly ajar (a 1cm gap), oxygen levels are increased, and I wake up with no inflammation at all.

3. DHT increases IL-6 From studies I read, DHT tends to increase this pro-inflammatory cytokine in target sites, therefore these 3 issues work synergistically in increasing IL-6 and heightened inflammatory problems.

"Autocrine and paracrine factors are produced by balding dermal papilla (DP) cells following dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-driven alterations and are believed to be key factors involved in male pattern baldness. Herein we report that the IL-6 is upregulated in balding DP cells compared with non-balding DP cells. IL-6 was upregulated 3 hours after 10–100 nM DHT treatment, and ELISA showed that IL-6 was secreted from balding DP cells in response to DHT. IL-6 receptor (IL-6R) and glycoprotein 130 (gp130) were expressed in follicular keratinocytes, including matrix cells. Recombinant human IL-6 (rhIL-6) inhibited hair shaft elongation and suppressed proliferation of matrix cells in cultured human hair follicles. Moreover, rhIL-6 injection into the hypodermis of mice during anagen caused premature onset of catagen. Taken together, our data strongly suggest that DHT-inducible IL-6 inhibits hair growth as a paracrine mediator from the DP."

If your baldness is in it's infancy, I cannot stress enough how important it is to tackle inflammation by making sure your bedroom is always well ventilated. In fact, this hypoxia problem may well be one of the chief reasons why 5AR inhibitors don't always work because IL-6 is still being produced in abundance.
    Last edited by Xenon; 10-24-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: posted study

If you want to increase angiogenesis, you should exercise with one of those elevation masks. Hypoxia in the absence of exercise increases brain angiogenesis but not epithelial angiogenesis to any degree.

Chances of making a difference? Really low.