+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    Perhaps to you it might be considered a "fight", but to pop a small pill right before bed time is not much of a fight at all. Many of us like myself consider it a win if we can maintain our hair over several decades time.
    You also have to take into account the fact that you might stop taking it for plenty of reasons: conceiving a child, sides appearing, being afraid of sides.

I understand some people can take this pill without a worry in the world. But I would never be able to do that, especially having suffered from drug-induced gynecomastia.

Who know the damages that playing with your hormones could cause in the long-term.

The thing is, you will not maintain your hair for several decades if you started balding in your 20's or teens, don't even count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    The thing is, you will not maintain your hair for several decades if you started balding in your 20's or teens, don't even count on it.
    Please back up this statement. Show us photos of one person who took finasteride at an early stage of thinning and advanced to anything more than a NW4.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    Please back up this statement. Show us photos of one person who took finasteride at an early stage of thinning and advanced to anything more than a NW4.
    Hair loss is usually way too aggressive when you start losing it early in life. You'll see it for yourself if you're in your early 20's and already losing hair.

Finasteride has been approved in 1998 so you won't find such results, yet. You would need to have a 20 year old guy who was NW2.5 (so sure it was not a mature hair line) and he would be only in his mid 30's now.

Because if you show me a 35 year old NW2 who took finasteride since 1999, I could argue that it was just a mature hair line and he might not have receded further without finasteride.

Common sense here.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Hair loss is usually way too aggressive when you start losing it early in life. You'll see it for yourself if you're in your early 20's and already losing hair.

Finasteride has been approved in 1998 so you won't find such results, yet. You would need to have a 20 year old guy who was NW2.5 (so sure it was not a mature hair line) and he would be only in his mid 30's now.

Because if you show me a 35 year old NW2 who took finasteride since 1999, I could argue that it was just a mature hair line and he might not have receded further without finasteride.

Common sense here.
    So you don't have any evidence and all you're relying on is your best guess and presenting it as fact? btw, Proscar came out in 92, so we have twenty years on it.

So you don't have any evidence and all you're relying on is your best guess and presenting it as fact? btw, Proscar came out in 92, so we have twenty years on it.
    Yeah because hair loss sufferers in theirs teens/20's knew about that at the time, especially without the internet.

Look, you're just trying to reassure yourself. There's only one truth for all of us, we will all be bald at a point of our lives.

Even Spencer Kobren paints the thin parts of his head so maybe he would appear severely bald without his dermmatch.

And he's been on finasteride since 1997 and caught his hair loss relatively early, what does that tell you?

You'll sleep better at night if you accept that fact now: yes you will go bald eventually.

But don't worry, there are always hair transplants to restore what you've lost.

Plus you'll have saved way more hair than if you hadn't used medication.

But don't act like we have a cure (finasteride) that will stop hair loss forever at our disposal, that's just not true.

I repeat, do you have any photographic evidence of somebody who advanced to a high norwood after catching it early? I prefer to deal with actual evidence instead of conjecture.

I repeat, do you have any photographic evidence of somebody who advanced to a high norwood after catching it early? I prefer to deal with actual evidence instead of conjecture.
    It doesn't exist. You won't have evidence of men with hair loss keeping their hair from their teens to their late 30's either, so we're actually both speculating.

It's just that I believe that my vision is more realistic and plausible than yours. That's all.

i started treatments at nw1 (fin and nizoral) and now im almost nw3.. so there is your evidence

I'm pretty confident that I can "win the battle against hairloss" because I'm confident that more powerful treatments will become available as I age. I'm pretty content with remaining at something between a NW2 and NW3, which could be hidden through concealer + thickening shampoo.

Finasteride WILL work forever, if you lose ground it'll just mean MPB is outrunning fin by a little bit. That said, do you have photos that clearly demonstrate thinning from baseline? Just looking in the mirror may not be conclusive.
    Yes. I'm not going to post them here but I've experienced non-negligible hairloss towards my temples. Finasteride halted the ultra-premature balding on my crown, which hasn't picked-up or increased since I started taking it.

Overall, I'd consider this to be a pretty remarkable achievement. If Dutasteride is truly stronger, I'm confident that I could even re-grow some hair for a few years with the use of minoxinil.