+ Reply to Thread

Default 1 year mark on Finasteride

Hello all,

I’m 24 years old and I’ve noticed my hair loss for a little more than a year now. I’ve been a part of BTT since then and the hair loss forums have taught me much about the hair loss process and how to fight it. Glad to say it’s been a success, in my opinion. I think that without a doubt looks matter in life as it gives you more opportunities that you otherwise would not have and hair is a good part of my looks.

Regarding history, my mom’s side of the family has great hair and there’s not much balding there for the men. My father is completely bald, NW7 style, and his brothers are also losing it but he’s the only NW7 I believe. For me, that throws the theory that hair loss comes from your mom’s side of the family out the window as I now have alopecia like my father.

I feel fortunate that I caught my hair loss early and started treatment so I never got far into the hair loss. I was maybe a NW2 with a thinning top at my worse and today I would say I’m close to a NW1 with a bit of thinning on my right temple, nothing that styling can’t fix. I have no loss at the crown whatsoever and I’m quite happy with my current hair. I did my research and eventually settled into the big 3 (Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Ketoconazole shampoo) that are commonly accepted by the hair loss community. There are no side effects to speak of; sex life is great and I sleep like Snorlax. Without further ado, here are the timeline and pics of my hair loss that I documented for this past year.

March 20th, 2014 – Started Rogaine foam, on and off, not too serious about it.
    May 1st, 2014 – Took first pics of hair loss, both with crap phone’s front camera and an actual camera.
    May 15th, 2014 – Shaved head to assess hair loss damage.
    May 20th, 2014 – Started Finasteride 1mg/day, applied Rogaine foam 2x/day.
    September 19th, 2014 – Started using an actual camera instead of phone for monthly photos.
    October 7th, 2014 – Switched from Rogaine foam to generic Minoxidil liquid 1ml 2x/day.
    October 13th, 2014 – Added 1% Ketoconazole Nizoral shampoo (Mon/Wed/Fri).
    December 1st, 2014 – Realized the importance of consistency. Started keeping flashed and non-flashed photos taken at the same place, similar lighting, angle, etc…
    February 1st, 2015 – Added biotin 1000mg 2x/day. Down on Minoxidil to 1ml 1x/day.
    May 20th, 2015 – 1 year mark on Finasteride. Cut hair shorter to compare with baseline pics.

Grand photo:

It’s a shame that this was a learning experience for me and I didn’t use an actual camera with consistent lighting, angle, and flash to capture more detailed images from the early months of treatment, I think it would’ve shown my shed in great detail if my memories serve me correctly. O wells, maybe one of you will learn from me and do it to show us.

Shed:
    Unfortunately I don’t have comparable photos from the 3 stages (pre-treatment, shed, present) to show good shedding. I didn’t take a non-flashed photo with the camera before I started treatment but I think you can still see the shedding that takes place a few months after treatment begun.

Regrowth:
    Since I was not in deep shyt with hair loss to begin with, it’s hard to tell whether or not I regained any hair on my temple, even when looking at the camera photos with flash because of the angles (I take these pics myself so it’s hard to get the same angle). I take into consideration that I used to cut about a centimeter or two into my widow’s peak just to give an illusion of a straight hairline and nowadays I no longer do that. For me, that’s enough to say I’ve gained some back on the temple but I’ll let you be the judge.

I rarely visit these forums anymore because I’m quite happy with the state of my hair. From now I will only take photos once every few months and I might do a 10 year update if the cure is not out by then. Last thing I want to say is that if you are thinking about Finasteride but are scared because you’ve heard stories about side effects, don’t be. I think reward far outweighs the risk and if you are the 2% that get sides, you can just hop off when you feel it. I personally believe that the legends regarding permanent side effects from Fin are just that, legends. There is no reason to think that symptoms persists once the medicine is flushed out of your system unless it’s caused by something else. Good luck to you all in your battle with alopecia and I hope you find success and enjoy your hair like I do nowadays.

Very nice thread, and good luck in the future.

pretty good result so far! you cant expect too much regrowt in the temple area, but that is fine!