+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Well having an AR antagonist which doesn't go systematically would surely kick a**? I guess the problem is I wouldn't even want a small amount of something like spiro going systematically.

I think the question is just to what degree does it go systemic topically? We all acknowledge it probably does but less is always better than more if it can be effective still locally near the hair.
    I remember bryan mentioning that 5-ar 1 inhibitor before. If 5-ar 1 is found mainly in the skin and type 2 isnt then its possible for type 1 the skin plays more a role their with DHT production than it does with finasteride where its other places like prostate where its more common. Its always been the 5-ar type 2 implicated in MPB and not so much the type 1 which I admit is odd since type 1 is more abundant local to hair cells supposedly.

http://www.propecianow.net/wp-conten...tion-curve.jpg

combined with half life, theres no way around the sides

Topical finasteride goes pretty much almost 100% systemic;

Comparing the therapeutic effects of finasteride gel and tablet in treatment of the androgenetic alopecia.
    Hajheydari Z1, Akbari J, Saeedi M, Shokoohi L.
    Author information

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Finasteride, a type II-selective 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, as a causative agent of decreasing dihydroxy testosterone (DHT) level, is effective in the treatment of male androgenic alopecia.
    AIM:
    We compared the local and oral finasteride in the treatment of androgenic alopecia.
    METHOD:
    This is a double blind, randomized clinical trial study of 45 male patients, who were referred with alopecia to the private clinics and departments in Boo-Ali Sina Hospital, in Sari. Patients with male androgenic alopecia were selected according to the history and physical examinations. The patients were randomly divided into two: topical finasteride (A) and oral finasteride (B) groups. Topical finasteride group (A) received a topical gel of 1% finasteride and placebo tablets, while the oral finasteride group (B) received finasteride tablets (1 mg) and gel base (without drug) as placebo for 6 months. The patients were followed by clinical observation and recording of side effects prior to the treatment and at the end of first week, and then by a monthly follow-up. The size of bald area, total hair count, and terminal hair were studied. Data were analyzed by descriptive and Chi-square statistical test.
    RESULTS:
    The mean duration of hair loss was 18.8+/-23.10 months. Each month the terminal hair, size of bald area and hair count between the two groups were compared. There were no significant differences between the two groups as a viewpoint of hair thickness, hair counts and the size of bald area. Serial measurements indicated a significant increase in hair counts and terminal hair counts between the two groups.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    The results of this study showed that the therapeutic effects of both finasteride gel and finasteride tablet were relatively similar to each other.
    Pharmacodynamic of P-3074 (finasteride 0.25% topical solution) in subjects with androgenetic alopecia
    A new proprietary topical formulation, P-3074, containing finasteride 0.25% as active ingredient and hydroxypropyl-chitosan (HPCH) as film-forming agent, was developed for androgenetic alopecia. The present study was aimed at investigating the pharmacodynamic profile of finasteride in terms of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentrations in the scalp and in serum after multiple topical application of P-3074 or oral finasteride intake in subjects with androgenetic alopecia. Eighteen healthy men were randomly allocated to P-3074 or oral treatment after providing written informed consent. Twelve volunteers applied P-3074 topical solution for 7 days: six subjects once daily (o.d.) in the morning and the others twice daily (b.i.d.) in the morning and in the evening. The third group of six volunteers was administered 1 mg oral finasteride once daily in the morning for 1 week. Scalp (vertex) biopsies were collected at baseline and 6 hours after last dose administration, while serum samples were collected at baseline, before last administration, and 6 and 12 hours after the last multiple dose. A marked decrease in scalp DHT levels was observed: by 47.22% with P-3074 b.i.d., from 1.91 (±0.54) to 1.01 ng ml−1 (±0.39), by 71.20% with P-3074 o.d., from 1.52 (±0.41) to 0.44 ng ml−1 (±0.08), and by 51.11% with the oral formulation, from 1.39 (±0.25) to 0.68 ng ml−1 (±0.34). Serum DHT was reduced by 69.3–74.0% with P-3074 b.i.d., 67.6–80.4% with P-3074 o.d., and 69.7–76.1%with the oral formulation. These results showed a similar inhibition of serum DHT after 1 week of finasteride administration with the three dose regimens and were consistent with the results obtained in a previous P-3074 PK study. These findings show that DHT concentration in the scalp, after 7-day treatment course of P-3074 o.d., was more reduced (about 40%) than after 1 mg oral finasteride administration for the same treatment period.

Quote Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
    Can you send the formula? I know how to get it done. Thanks much.
    Quote Originally Posted by efedrez View Post
    A few post/days ago, Desmond, who is knowledgeable enough mentioned he would informed about a reasonable formulation to take to the pharmacist

Desmond, are you still there? Buddy we could use some help now!
    No problem guys, sorry for the delay. I am posting it as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Aik82 View Post
    Hi there, Desmond!

Is it a shampoo or a lotion or drops? any visible improvements?

Ben
    Hi brother It is a topical foaming solution, similar to the Regain foam (Minoxidil) available on the market.

The first batch is ready tomorrow for a patient. I am making one for myself as well. I'll keep you posted on efficacy, etc

More detailed:

Quote Originally Posted by RU58841 View Post
    More detailed:

Just goes to show that daily ingestion of Finasteride is not necessary.

I see maybe your right that it always goes nearly 100 percent systemic. Maybe that is why merk gave men the choice on topical or oral formulation. Other than convenience there is not much of a difference in terms of sides I guess.
    Kind of a shame that is the case, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Just goes to show that daily ingestion of Finasteride is not necessary.

So, it looks like taking around .25mg or .50mg of Fin once a week is the perfect amount to drop your DHT levels while still allowing your body to use its mechanisms to recover... Maybe one of the issues with fin is that by taking it everyday we compound its effects to the point where the body is so overwhelmed and forced into hypogonadism ?

Anyone tried microdosing like that?

No, but I am willing to give it a shot. Would be at least a year before I could discern any results anyway. I have .25mg doses all cut up and ready to go. Jazz is a big believer in taking .25 eod.