+ Reply to Thread

Default Is 20-30 hairs in shower normal?

Hey all, been on finasteride for 1 year and 7-8 months. At one year mark had a massive shed and had to quit minoxidil because scalp was burning. This was in November, and ever since then I've been shedding consistently 30 hairs in the shower and when my hair is dry, if I shake it over the sink 7-8 hairs come out.

I don't think it's from quitting minoxidil because that was 7 months ago. Maybe finasteride just doesn't work for me?

totally normal dude... I combed through my hair this morning and was doing a light pull test throughout my scalp and probably 100 hairs fell out into the sink. I know it's depressing to look and count and watch everything your trying so hard to preserve literally wash down the drain... The normal person, WITHOUT mpb loses 50-100 hairs a day. With progressing MPB probably 100-200 a day. The best thing to do is stop counting. If you are so concerned fin is not working, isn't there some kind of circulating DHT test you can do, or perhaps get a scalp biopsy as well?? Sometimes, even if the outcome is dire, it relieves a lot of suffering to just KNOW what is going on.

Yeah I've been thinking about going for a testosterone/dht panel because I feel like the drug is doing nothing for me after the one year mark.

Dutasteride stories scare me because my hair line receded bad on finasteride and that's like all I read about with dutasteride.

And then there's the prt of me that thinks finasteride is not having positive effects, but adverse effects on my hair. So hard to pin point.

Shedding 30 to 50 strands daily is not significant. Have you done pull test? If you are losing more than 15 hairs per pull, it likely means more than 10 percent of the hair on your head is in the ‘resting’ phase. Though it’s not a cause for concern, it’s a good idea to ask for expert opinion. Make sure you are getting enough B vitamins, iron, and protein in your diet
    Ideally you should wait for at least a year to determine whether Fin is really working or not. If you are sure it’s not working, discuss with your doctor about switching to dutasteride. Dutasteride is 3 times as potent as finasteride and causes scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone levels to decrease and testosterone levels to increase in a dose-dependent fashion. Whereas 5-mg finasteride decreases serum DHT by about 70%, Dutasteride can decrease serum DHT by more than 90%. However, with more potency comes the increased risk of side effects. So choose wisely. Good luck.

20-30 hair strands are totally normal. You should not worry about hair loss upto 80-100 hairs a day. If the number of hairs goes above 100 then you should worry about it.