+ Reply to Thread

Default Uneven hairline hairloss diagnosis

Hi guys,

I was really hoping to get some advice here because I'm almost at my wit's about my situation

My problem is with frontal hairline loss, specifically on the left side of my hairline only. I noticed a chunk of my left hairline missing around sometime last November, and since then it has stealthily gotten worse. The loss seems to be creeping down towards the center of my hairline instead of backwards along my scalp as in the traditional pattern for genetic balding. So much so, in fact, that if I pull back my fringe now my hairline looks completely lopsided, since my left hairline has been somewhat eaten away, but my right hairline has been strangely unaffected.

I have been to see a trichologist, my GP, and a dermatologist, none of whom gave me any real help except to explain all the different possible causes of hairloss which I already knew. I have spent a good deal of money on those consultations and none of them could explain the reason why my hairloss is so concentrated on one side only.

Lately, I've been wondering if it could be some sort of chronic Telogen Effluvium, which I've heard can affect the hairline. I've noticed that the hair along my left hairline is finer and less dense (messy) than the hair on the right side. The funny thing is no other area on my scalp, sides, or back have been affected.

Is there anyone at all who may have an idea what this could possibly be? I'd just like to know whether this sounds like it might be a medical condition rather than a genetic condition, because none of the "experts" I've been to see have given me a direct answer. This problem has hit my self-esteem hard, and I would appreciate any and all opinions/comments, so thanks to you all in advance.

P.S. I am male, Asian, 20 years old. Father has mpb (currently somewhere between Norwood 3 - 4), however he didn't start balding until his 40s and even then his hairloss followed the traditional symmetric pattern of both temples receding backwards along his scalp. No history of hairloss from my mother's side.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Hi guys,

I was really hoping to get some advice here because I'm almost at my wit's about my situation

My problem is with frontal hairline loss, specifically on the left side of my hairline only. I noticed a chunk of my left hairline missing around sometime last November, and since then it has stealthily gotten worse. The loss seems to be creeping down towards the center of my hairline instead of backwards along my scalp as in the traditional pattern for genetic balding. So much so, in fact, that if I pull back my fringe now my hairline looks completely lopsided, since my left hairline has been somewhat eaten away, but my right hairline has been strangely unaffected.

I have been to see a trichologist, my GP, and a dermatologist, none of whom gave me any real help except to explain all the different possible causes of hairloss which I already knew. I have spent a good deal of money on those consultations and none of them could explain the reason why my hairloss is so concentrated on one side only.

Lately, I've been wondering if it could be some sort of chronic Telogen Effluvium, which I've heard can affect the hairline. I've noticed that the hair along my left hairline is finer and less dense (messy) than the hair on the right side. The funny thing is no other area on my scalp, sides, or back have been affected.

Is there anyone at all who may have an idea what this could possibly be? I'd just like to know whether this sounds like it might be a medical condition rather than a genetic condition, because none of the "experts" I've been to see have given me a direct answer. This problem has hit my self-esteem hard, and I would appreciate any and all opinions/comments, so thanks to you all in advance.

P.S. I am male, Asian, 20 years old. Father has mpb (currently somewhere between Norwood 3 - 4), however he didn't start balding until his 40s and even then his hairloss followed the traditional symmetric pattern of both temples receding backwards along his scalp. No history of hairloss from my mother's side.
    Mbp is not always symetrical when it begins, though it will evetually.

Mine started shortly after I turned 17 on the left corner/temple and like you described it spread torward the center hairline, not the back. It did this for almost one year then slowed way down. Over time it eventually reached the right side and then and only then did it start to creep back a bit.

Many years later, the crown did the same thing, only it started on the right side and then started moving to the center and then left side.

A hair dr told me this is mpb, just another variation of it. If there is any good news about this type of mpb is that it has occured much slower than the other guys my age.

hey! thanks for the reply and sorry i couldn't post back earlier, I was out of the city for the weekend. It's nice to hear from someone with a similar experience. I've searched for eons and you're about the first person I've encountered who has had even the most remotely similar pattern of hair loss to mine.

Tbh, I don't really mind receding a little, and I don't think I'm in any danger of going full bald as none of my family members have that extent of alopecia, but what really gets me is the asymmetry. Also, I don't know if this is an actual thing, but I've probably been contributing to my own hairloss lol. When I first noticed it I was so obsessed I'd look in the mirror > 40 times a day, running my hands through my hair and pulling back and forth to see the extent of the damage. I've noticed I tended to shed a fair bit when I did that. The derm I visited said running your hands through your hair couldn't cause shedding, but I think I disagree with him ;P

I also have uneven balding. I put my hair always to the left and now after I noticed my hair falling out I saw that it was completely bald from the right temple, and slightly thin from the left temple. It's probably caused by preferential damage on that side though. I don't think its that uncommon tbh.

I don't know how common it is but I wondered about it and one of the online hair docs said it was just one variation.

Like I said it does seem to be much slower than others my age but that could be due to other factors not sure. But one thing is sure, it started on one side in the front (left) then many years later started on the opposite side (right) in the back. Must mean something.

No two people will go bald in exactly the same way. Even identical twins will not go bald in exactly the same way.

It is quite common for temple recession to happen more on one side than the other. That was certainly the case with me as well. What you are describing does not not sound out of the ordinary at all, sorry to say.

Hey, me again.

Haven't posted in a while but I'm back now because I'm not sure who else to turn to. I've been extremely depressed recently because I've noticed my hair loss has been getting worse. Just today I pulled back my fringe in the mirror and was stunned at how thin the hair on my left hairline was. I don't know why my right side is not affected; it's been 10 months now since my left side started going, and my right side is still sitting put. The unevenness makes me look and feel like a freak.

I can't eat, I can't sleep. I'm in the middle of exams and the depression has been so bad lately it's been affecting my performance. I keep telling myself my hairloss isn't even that bad yet; and there are so many people who have it worse than me. Not to mention people with real problems like cancer or something. But no matter how hard I try to remain optimistic, I can't stop thinking about it 24 hours a day. With my fringe down, no one can tell my condition, but I know it's there and I feel like such a fake walking around pretending everything is all right.

There's no one I can talk to about this; not even my parents. I've hinted to my mom that I'm losing my hair, but she has no idea to what extent, and just how depressed about it I feel. Although I'm planning to talk to my parents soon, I don't want to burden them by unloading it all onto them.

I just want to stop caring about it. I know it's superficial and I shouldn't be caring about it - I keep telling myself over and over. So why is it always lurking in the corner of my mind, springing to the forefront every 2 minutes? I feel like I've lost all hope for the future. There's no point in anything I'm doing anymore- studying, socializing, volunteering. How do I change this mindset??

P.S. I've also come to appreciate just how devastating it is for those worse off than me, the 18, 19, 20 year olds who are facing > NW3. If I'm already feeling this depressed, I can't imagine how hard it must be for them. If anyone is in the same boat, lives in Western Australia and wants to chat about it, I'm always happy, just pm me.

Hey man lol, what brought me here is that I have the same problem as you. Although, I honestly haven't the slightest whether or not it's a natural asymmetric hairline or mpd, but I'm pretty sure it's mpd. I'm 17 and just noticing it over the course of this year and it's frustrating. My dads hairline as receeded a fair amount, but what gets to me is that my left temple is thin and receeded in comparison to the right temple, which is essentially fine. I looked back at childhood pictures and realized my hair has always been asymmetric and noticeably thinner on the left, however I'm still fearing the worst lol. I'm pretty obsessed over it and look at it a lot, when in reality it's not very bad at all yet. I'm probably going to see a dermatologist to clarify. Just know you're not alone and yeah this shit sucks ��