Threaded View

Default Uneven hairline hairloss diagnosis

Hi guys,

I was really hoping to get some advice here because I'm almost at my wit's about my situation

My problem is with frontal hairline loss, specifically on the left side of my hairline only. I noticed a chunk of my left hairline missing around sometime last November, and since then it has stealthily gotten worse. The loss seems to be creeping down towards the center of my hairline instead of backwards along my scalp as in the traditional pattern for genetic balding. So much so, in fact, that if I pull back my fringe now my hairline looks completely lopsided, since my left hairline has been somewhat eaten away, but my right hairline has been strangely unaffected.

I have been to see a trichologist, my GP, and a dermatologist, none of whom gave me any real help except to explain all the different possible causes of hairloss which I already knew. I have spent a good deal of money on those consultations and none of them could explain the reason why my hairloss is so concentrated on one side only.

Lately, I've been wondering if it could be some sort of chronic Telogen Effluvium, which I've heard can affect the hairline. I've noticed that the hair along my left hairline is finer and less dense (messy) than the hair on the right side. The funny thing is no other area on my scalp, sides, or back have been affected.

Is there anyone at all who may have an idea what this could possibly be? I'd just like to know whether this sounds like it might be a medical condition rather than a genetic condition, because none of the "experts" I've been to see have given me a direct answer. This problem has hit my self-esteem hard, and I would appreciate any and all opinions/comments, so thanks to you all in advance.

P.S. I am male, Asian, 20 years old. Father has mpb (currently somewhere between Norwood 3 - 4), however he didn't start balding until his 40s and even then his hairloss followed the traditional symmetric pattern of both temples receding backwards along his scalp. No history of hairloss from my mother's side.