+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Can no longer afford Propecia

I have been on P for about 8 months, not sure if it has been working, at best it may have reduced the shedding. At this time i cannot afford to stay on it. Is it ok to stop with P then continue again when i have more money?

I thought about trying Rogain Foam as its cheaper?

You should consider switching to generic 5 mg Finasteride/Proscar. It is much cheaper than 1 mg Propecia (I pay $15 for 4 months supply). You will need to cut the pills into fourths, leaving you with 1.25 mg, but this is common practice. If you stop taking Propecia, you will have "catch up loss" where you may lose the hair that Propecia was retaining.

ohh thanks for the info, so in order to get this would I need to see my family doctor for another prescription?

I am no expert on the medications, but 5 mg Finasteride is for prostate treatment. Propecia was derived after seeing benefits to patients using this medication, and it was determined 1 mg Propecia/Finasteride was the appropriate dosage specifically for hair loss. How are you currently getting your prescription for Propecia? Some physicians will be reluctant to prescibe 5 mg Finasteride for hair loss because, like I said above, it's the dosage to assist in prostate health. You will have to convince your physician that you will be using it for hair loss and will be cutting the pill into fourths. You should call around to different pharmacies and ask what the cost is for 5 mg Finasteride/Proscar.

hey thanks for that 411, the propecia I have now was prescribed by my family doctor.

I got the prescription for the Proscar, so by cutting this up into 4's is ok, its safe?