+ Reply to Thread

Default Scar repair recommendations

Hello, I hope everyone has a great 2010.
    I am looking for a recommendation/referral for a surgeon that can fix an old (20 years) scar. I have a single scar on the left side of my head which is approximately 2.5cm x 10cm (1 inch by 4 inches). I am not sure what this type of scar is called, but an HT doctor removed approximately 60 small plugs. Now, I would like to shave my head completely. I am happy with a totally shaved head look, but do not really know how to deal with the donor area. Can hair be transplanted into the holes? Should the entire area be cut out and stitched together? I do not want to make the wrong move again and was hoping someone on this site could help. I will fly anywhere to have this procedure performed. I just want to find the right person as I am not getting any older!
    Thank you
    Charlie

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hi Charlie, that scar of yours sounds like a real problem!

Without seeing the scar itself, I generally tell those with stretched scars that the goal is to reduce the original scar by 50%, let it heal, then try to remove 50% of the remaining scar or the scar altogether, leaving you an acceptable scar.

For a scar as wide as yours, there should be no need to "stress" the area and you should err on the side of caution.

Because your scar is only 4 inches long, hopefully you still have some good laxity.

Regardless, you could probably do 1 scar revision, followed by another scar revision 9-10months later with FUE grafts inserted into any remaining scar tissue.

Please post a photo if you like.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Scar revisions can be very difficult. There is always a chance that the scar could end up worse. You can transplant grafts into the scar, but the results are less predictable that transplanting into normal tissue. It would be helpful to see photographs of the scar. Unfortunetly, sometimes patients give up the option to shave the entire scalp once they have started down the hair transplant path. This is more common in patients who had the older types of hair restoration procedures.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you Jason and Dr. Charles for your information. I will post some photos

Default Photos of scar area

Here are some photos of the scarred area. I would like to be able to either shave my head or cut my hair short. However, as you can see there is a corn row effect occurring. Any advice would be helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1498.jpg

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg

Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	3582