+ Reply to Thread

Default Convincing derm to put me on Dut?

So, I'm 19 years old. NW 2.5 with very very early stages of thinning on top, and vertex. It doesn't look good for me and I'm so depressed.

I've been to see her about it before and she said I have a mature hairline which is absolutely ridiculous. It's so, so, so blatant. She seemed very hesitant to put me on Propecia last time and I left without a prescription. I'm currently doing nothing other than using Rogaine and Nizoral. As I'm only 19, and I've already progressed that far my hairloss is obviously aggressive and feel like Dut would be a much more suitable option for me.

Can you guys possibly just give some help and advice on how to convince my derm to put me on Dut? Like I said, she was hesitant about Propecia let alone Dut. If I say "because people on a forum told me, she'll probably laugh in my face". No offence, haha. What approach should I take with this.

Thank you.

Yeah I have been in that same boat myself. I dont know if there is really a good answer other than find a different derm or doctor if they wont listen to you or make your case better next time. That is part of the reason why I dislike doctors being gatekeepers for things like this that a lot of them frankly dont have a good understanding of. Also MPB being a cosmetic condition tends to make a lot of doctors/derms not take it very seriously.
    It is a difficult task with minor hair loss to ever get someone to be convinced enough to prescribe you fin because without fin you pretty much have no chance. A derm a long time ago though who knew what he was doing said you have to lose like 50 percent density for it to become visible to someone else and he was going to prescribe me it even though I had most of hair at the time. Because he knew you cant always tell just by looking until it gets bad.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Yeah I have been in that same boat myself. I dont know if there is really a good answer other than find a different derm or doctor if they wont listen to you or make your case better next time. That is part of the reason why I dislike doctors being gatekeepers for things like this that a lot of them frankly dont have a good understanding of. Also MPB being a cosmetic condition tends to make a lot of doctors/derms not take it very seriously.
    It is a difficult task with minor hair loss to ever get someone to be convinced enough to prescribe you fin because without fin you pretty much have no chance. A derm a long time ago though who knew what he was doing said you have to lose like 50 percent density for it to become visible to someone else and he was going to prescribe me it even though I had most of hair at the time. Because he knew you cant always tell just by looking until it gets bad.
    That is so true. It really does seem like it's not even taken seriously when it's not too noticable. Really though, it's a blessing that it's not noticable (yet). In my case, I live in a small town with only 1 dermatologist around.
    I think I'll be able to make her crack and prescribe me Finasteride, but Dut might be a bit of a challenge.

Different derm

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    Different derm
    Wish it were that easy. Theres only 1 in my city.

winkywoo I am in a similar situation.

been taking fin 1 mg every day for the past year, hasn't stopped it. I want to make the switch to dut but i can't get a prescription and don't know where to find it online without one. I'm stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    winkywoo I am in a similar situation.

been taking fin 1 mg every day for the past year, hasn't stopped it. I want to make the switch to dut but i can't get a prescription and don't know where to find it online without one. I'm stuck
    Damn. I'm sorry to hear that man. What's your plan? Are you sure fin hasn't done a single thing to help your situation?

I havent even been on fin yet so like I said, trying to convince my derm to put me on dut without even going on fin is going to be a huge challenge. This sucks. I'm not sure but can't you order dut online without a prescription somehow? I've been kind of looking into it but not too seriously.

Regular derms suck for hair loss. Find yourself a good IAHRS approved doctor and fly to see him/her if you must. Get a real consultation with a real doctor, even if it costs you money. He/she should give you the prescription + real, good, knowledgeable advice, much better than docs specializing in rashes.

Yeah i'm pretty sure it's done nothing, as my hair's gotten worse. I'm not going to stop taking it though because who knows, maybe its slowed things down compared to how it would have naturally progressed.

Having said that I'm still going to try to add dutasteride anyways, maybe starting at .5 every other day and working up to a daily dose

if you can convince your doc to put you on fin and not dut, i would probably start on that anyways and see how it goes. chances are it will work better for you, best of luck

Yeah your better off trying fin first then dut later if you need to