+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggyz123 View Post
    Oh and I've just read people's hairlines getting worse on it, that's all. If you type into google, "dutasteride" on of the suggested searches is killed my hairline lol. However, there are good stories to man. I'm done experimenting myself lol. When my shed started this year, I had pain in my scalp, burning, etc.. And I don't know if it was caused by minoxidil or fin.. I decided to quit minoxidil because I did have a SHIT ton of dandruff.. I'm "alright" at the moment.. Luckily I saved my money because I'm going to just get a transplant to restore and not worry about a creeping hairline anymore.

Keep in touch man. And best of luck!
    That is the one main reason i avoided Rogaine lol

I had it plastered on my hairline and then heard it is bad for the hairline, causes shedding etc

Needless to say i was quickk to wash it off.

I'm worried if I just sit back things will get worse but if I jumped on something else it'll get worse quicker. Hairline wise.
    Everything else is thick on my head, I'm a NW1 I think, but after Fin my left said is really thinned out. badly.

Wow, that's crazy because the left side of my hairline/head thinned pretty bad as well on fin. The right side is still thick. I debated dropping fun so many times, but I had to drop minoxidil due to shedding and scalp pain from one of the two. Eventually I figured it had to be topical, but the shedding never quit for 7 months.. Not sure if I'm still shedding of minoxidil gains though. Sucks dude

Hey Jason, did you ever switch to dutasteride?

for what it's worth I added dut to my 1mg daily fin about a month ago and haven't really noticed anything different yet.

I started with .5 mg 4 times a week for two weeks and have upped it to daily now, hopefully this works..

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    for what it's worth I added dut to my 1mg daily fin about a month ago and haven't really noticed anything different yet.

I started with .5 mg 4 times a week for two weeks and have upped it to daily now, hopefully this works..
    So do you take 1mg Fin and 0.5 mg of dut every day? Is that overkill? Does anyone else have ideas on this? Should you just drop fin and start taking dut lately.

I've been on Fin for 7 years. It has maintained my hairline and overall good hair, but I can't help but notice that it's starting thinning diffusely. Not sure if it's a shed or just the slow progression of hairloss. I've been thinking about making the switch to dut but unsure if I should just completely drop fin and start 0.5 mg dut daily or start once or twice a week while continuing to take fin.

Bump. Any ideas guys what I should do?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Paul Shapiro, MD's Avatar

Finasteride and Dutastride both lower DHT levels, but Dutasteride lowers it more. That is because there are two enzymes that convert Testosterone to DHT. Finasteride only blocks one enzyme while Dutasteride blocks both.

There are studies that show Dutasteride does help to regrow hair and stop hair loss but the most effective dose is not known. There have been some studies but they do not have a large enough cohort of patients and have gone long enough to give us a definitive answer. The half-life of a medication determines how often one needs to take it and Dutasteride has a very long half-life. That is why some patients take it three times a week or every other day. But there have not been any studies to show if this dose is as effective and a daily dose. But I think if most likely is.

There are no long term studies on the safety of Dutasteride for hair loss. The medication is for men with Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy. These patients tend to be over 50, and if a medication saves them from having a surgical procedure on their prostate the benefits most likely outweigh the possible risk. To take it for hair loss is going into an unknown territory about risk vs benefits and I agree with Dr. Rashid, you should discuss this with a medical doctor.

Finasteride is much less expensive than Dutasteride. In our area, patients are getting thirty 5mg pills for as little as $10. The prescribed does is ¼ pill a day so that will last 4 months. So finasteride is much more economical.

Unfortunately, using an online pharmacy is a crap shoot. There are a lot of counterfeit drugs on the market that are made to look like the real thing. So if you buy a drug from an online pharmacy and it doesn’t work then it is difficult to know if it is a clinical failure or a counterfeit drug. I do not endorse online pharmacies, but I would suggest going the MD, prescription route for at least 6 months before using one. Then you know you area getting the real thing and if you are having a good clinical response.

I never use Dutasteride as a first line medication for hair loss. I first want my patients to go on Finasteride because in most cases I see good results. I will prescribe Dutasteride to patients who have failed finasteride or have been on finasteride for a long time and it has stopped working. But only after having a discussion about benefits vs risk and having the patient confirm that there are possible long term risk that we do not know yet. I have very few patients on Dutasteride.
    Paul Shapiro, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggyz123 View Post
    Hey Jason, did you ever switch to dutasteride?
    Haven't made the switch and only got of fin for a tiny bit so I wasn't able to see any results on if my hair improved.

I was too scared incase it got worse. As of now though in the 3ish years I have been on fin my hairline has gone nw1-nw2.5

I'm searching for a cheap place to get fin and dut.

Might try fun every 6 days, dut 1 day