+ Reply to Thread

Question 25 Year Old guy at a crossroads

Hi folks,

I'm a 25 year old guy who hasn't shaved his head yet but pretty receded on the front sides and getting lighter on the top by the day. I've tried pretty much everything there is to try, as well as going for a number of consultations for Hair Transplants. The potential scarring, expense and maintenance just doesn't do it for me. I've tried fin which gave me all sorts of side effects within a few weeks (sexual, mental, headaches etc). I tried regaine and nizoral also to no avail.

Speaking to HT docs they advised that doing a transplant at my age without taking fin is pretty risky.

So that brings me to my question. How do you know when the time is right to buzz your head? Friends have told me I look fine and that I don't need to shave my head But I cannot bear looking in the mirror and seeing my receded hairline. My hair, or lack there-of is literally on my mind 24/7.

You can see in my pics that I have a pretty large forehead naturally and the crown and top is now also thinning. This has rapidly increased in the last 12 months but I cut my hair with a 0 on the side when I go to the barber and cut with scissors on top. I'm constantly aware of people looking at my hair so it does upset me..ALOT.

I've been looking into temp scalp micro pigmentation in Milan so I may go down that route. Lots more researching to be done though.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

#baldisbeautiful
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 7.55.34 PM.jpg

Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	39116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 7.55.59 PM.jpg

Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	39117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 7.56.10 PM.jpg

Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	39118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 7.55.48 PM.jpg

Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	39119  

Quote Originally Posted by irishfella1989 View Post
    So that brings me to my question. How do you know when the time is right to buzz your head? Friends have told me I look fine and that I don't need to shave my head But I cannot bear looking in the mirror and seeing my receded hairline. My hair, or lack there-of is literally on my mind 24/7.
    If it's bothering you that much, why not just try it? It's not as though shaving is a irreversible decision -- if you shave and don't like it, it'll grow back soon enough, and if you do like it then great, stick with it. It's also not as if you have to just shave it all off right away, you can just keep buzzing shorter and shorter and see how you feel.

Obviously it's a decision that only you can make, but especially as you're seemingly completely open with friends on the issue, I don't see the harm in at least trying. Maybe you'll end up liking the shaved look and not need to pursue other treatment options at all. Maybe you won't, but at least then you'll be able to look for other options knowing that.

I was around your age when I first took a #3 clipper to my head. I was around a NW3 at the time. Now many years later I am in even worse shape and have let it grow out. If you want my opinion, I say buzz it down to a #2 or #3 and see if you can live with it.

Are you guys totally adverse to scalp micro-pigmentation?

You've got nothing to lose in terms of shaving it down, it will grow back if you don't like it, oddly enough that's how my hair looked just before I started shaving it, but I was around 23 at that point. As far as scalp micro-pigmentation goes, I'm not that into it, for me it looks too angular and perfect, the only times I've thought it looks ok, was with darker skinned guys or guys with strong facial features. But that's just me.

I say you should shave it. I just did and I feel great.

Hi irishfella1989,
    I understand that bad experience of sexual side effects affects your decision to continue the treatment, as these are not the most pleasant feelings at the age of 25, but I'd like to let you know that the most commonly these side effects disappear with some time (about 1-2 months). So if you are thinking about the restoration of your hair, you can give it another try.

You can also try Minoxidil. Topical use will protect you from sexual side effects. I haven't tried it, and couldn't let you know how it really works.

If you are really thinking about shaving, I suggest you to make it gradually. It seems to me that your hair is already cutted to at least #3, so you can buzz it with #2->#1 and finally #0. I think it will be enough and you won't need to shave your head.