+ Reply to Thread

Default Minoxidil after hair transplant

Seeking for advices:
    I am into my fourth month of hair transplant and since then I have been diligently applying minoxidil 5% twice daily. Regaine is the brand of minoxidil I am now using and beside some mild skin irritation on my scalp, everything else is fine. However, I have recently come to know that with the same amount of money I am paying for a bottle of Regaine, I can get 2 bottles of Minoxi 5 (also minoxidil 5%). The only difference between these 2 is the alcohol content. The alcohol in Minoxi 5 is 96%, and Regaine is a lot more lesser than that. Does the high alcohol content has any adverse effect to the user, especially for one who has just undergone a HT?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

The more alcohol content there is, the more of a drying effect you will get. I am not sure if you have oily or dry scalp and hair. If it is already dry then the additional alcohol may not be a good idea. If you are more oily then the alcohol may actually be a little helpful. The new foam has removed most of the harmful ingredients and really only needs to be applied at night (one time per day). Even though the bottle says twice per day using it only once is probably as effective and will last twice as long.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    The more alcohol content there is, the more of a drying effect you will get. I am not sure if you have oily or dry scalp and hair. If it is already dry then the additional alcohol may not be a good idea. If you are more oily then the alcohol may actually be a little helpful. The new foam has removed most of the harmful ingredients and really only needs to be applied at night (one time per day). Even though the bottle says twice per day using it only once is probably as effective and will last twice as long.
    Thanks Dr. Glenn! You have saved me from causing damages to my hair, cos I definitely wouldn't need the additional drying effect to my already very dry hair. May I know what is the name of this new foam that you have mentioned? I am going to stick to Regaine for now and is tempted to switch to this new foam you have recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by sadman View Post
    Thanks Dr. Glenn! You have saved me from causing damages to my hair, cos I definitely wouldn't need the additional drying effect to my already very dry hair. May I know what is the name of this new foam that you have mentioned? I am going to stick to Regaine for now and is tempted to switch to this new foam you have recommended.
    sadman,

I am using Rogaine's new foam product. It comes at 5% strength and like Dr. Charles suggested, most of us men can get by using it once per day. I do not find this true however for women based on my past years of feedback and observations. I don't think this newer product is sugessted for women but I could be wrong and have had more than a few tell me they use it twice per day.

It's simply called Rogaine Foam. Very easy to find including at your local food market.

I have also found that the alchohol additives are more sensitive to the actual scalp surface than the hair itself but then again depends on how we all re-actn to these different meds including the topicals.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

How do you find the foam Gill? How long you been on it?
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

You can get it anywhere online. I buy mine locally through my grocer or pharmacy. It's been around for awhile now.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I meant how do you feel it's helping you mate - do you feel it works?

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Spex,

I started using the foam product exactly one year ago. Then the nightmare began. It promoted and started a shed predominantly in the crown area where I was applying it. Toppik fibers had less to stick to so I even had to go back to using some Dermatch to color my scalp in certain areas where it really stuck out.

The new growth cycle was just maturing late last summer but then I was diagnosed with cancer late August, had my right lung removed, and now recovering. The chemo-therapy treatments have shed 100% of my hair but it will grow back as I finish the chemo-therapy.

I'll keep you guys in the loop...
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Gill,

I appreciate recent events have been tough after speaking via PM acouple of months ago. Stay strong amigo and grow well!
    Best regards my man
    Spex

Thank you my friend!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net