+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting Over Hair Loss

Hey guys! Haven't posted here in awhile. Hope you all are doing well. My hair loss use to bother me. I use to be depressed over it. I tried every FDA approved product there was. I had no success, but I didn't give up. I still tried many other things. Nothings seemed to work. I wasted over $2,000 trying to get something back that wasn't meant to be. So I've learned to just deal with it. The only way my hair will come back is if a miracle happens or if a get a hair transplant. My hair has grown back some in the crown area since I got it cut really short. It's not growing much though. I've gotten use to it now though. If people don't like me because of my bald spots, screw them! I've learned they are worse things in life than hair loss. Sure your hair is an important part of your self image, but it's not a necessity. Hopefully I won't look too bad bald when it's all gone. For now I'm going to work with what's left of my hair. You can check out my video updates of my hair loss here.

https://www.youtube.com/HillieBillyMan

For Humorous redneck videos check me out at https://www.youtube.com/BoogerBoymeister

Best of luck to you all! & Happy 2010!

-Jarrod

Good for you, Jarrod! That's an excellent attitude to have. I've been reading here and at other forums, and it seems to me that people fret way too much about hair loss. They're willing to spend huge amounts of money on medicines, supplements, etc. that offer tiny benefits and, at best, delay the inevitable.

I watched your videos with great interest, since my hair is similar to yours in terms of how it's thinning. FWIW, with the haircut you had in the most recent video, I don't know that it's especially apparent that you're thinning to others. I mean, I don't think I'd look at you and think "wow, he's losing his hair." Ditto for the very short haircut you had, where one expects to see scalp. Personally, I think your videos prove that you're still at the point where the right haircut and styling products can make a big difference.

(PS: I see what you're saying about cutting your own hair, but unless you want to do the very short all-over buzz thing, I'd suggest you keep paying a pro to do it. I'm a barber, and I can tell you that at least some of us know how to cut thinning hair in a way that maximizes what you have.)

Default Admirable

Jarrod,

I admire your attitude regarding your hair loss. In an ideal world, that approach would be great. Unortunately we live in a society where we are judged both aestheically and monetarily. It's not fair, it' not right, but it is such a part of our societal blueprint that it is ingrained in each of us from a very early age. The bottom line is if you have enough self confidence and good charachter-your deficiencies(if you want to call it that) will become secondary to whomever you are dealing with. If anyone doesn't see it that way, this is not someone you want to be associating with anyway.

BigCityJames

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You have developed a great attitude and sound like you still have a lot of self esteem. As much as people do judge others based on physical appearence, I still think that confidence is more visible to others and will lead you further in life. Good luck.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityJames View Post
    I admire your attitude regarding your hair loss. In an ideal world, that approach would be great. Unortunately we live in a society where we are judged both aestheically and monetarily. It's not fair, it' not right, but it is such a part of our societal blueprint that it is ingrained in each of us from a very early age.
    But I think Jarrod is letting go of the notion that having a long, thick mane of hair on top of his head is somehow the only aesthetic choice that "society" approves of. As well he should, because that's absolute nonsense.

Fortunately for all of us on this forum, we don't live in the 60s or 70s, when long or long-ish hair on men was considered the norm and anything else pegged you as being downright odd. I cut men's hair for a living, and I can tell you that I see plenty of men from all walks of life (many whom are experiencing no thinning at all) tell me to buzz it down super-short or shave it off completely. It's hardly an edgy style choice in this day and age. Many guys frankly look better with less hair.

Of course, the difference between them and us is that they're choosing to do it, while in our case nature's kind of choosing for us. Which I agree is frustrating and all--it represents the loss of youth, the loss of choice of that particular facet of what we look like, etc.--but it's hardly the end of the world. If Jerrod's thinning increases and he chooses to get a really short haircut (or shave it all off), people aren't going to point and laugh at him. Actually, they won't be able to tell him from the many other men his age who choose to have short hair or no hair.

I think it's great that after trying what he could to save his hair with limited success, he's apparently decided to accept what is most likely inevitable. Judging from the horror stories I've seen on this forum, he's saving himself hours of anxiety and perhaps many thousands of dollars for God knows how many "treatments" that seem to offer limited benefit at best.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I use to have low self-esteem, but I think that has gotten better over the years. If people judge you for your hair loss, then they aren’t true friends. Eventually everyone’s looks will go downhill over time, unless they got some good genes I guess. When my hair gets to the point where it's so thin on top that there is nothing I can do. I'll probably go for a full buzz cut. I've had a lot of friends and people online tell me to just shave it all off. I thought about it, but don't think I'm quite ready for that step yet. When the time comes though I'll do it. I cut my hair myself now, I know that sounds crazy. All I really do is cut the sides and back. I take a little bit off the top every now and then. It grows pretty fast on the sides and back, but hardly grows much on the top. It did grow back some though from when I got it cut really short back in August of 2009. It would be nice if it all grew back, but I doubt it will happen. I've gotten use to the thinning now. I've been losing my hair since I was 20. I'm 22 now. It has definitely gotten worse over the years. I gave it my best shot though with the FDA approved products. Hopefully the approved products will work for other people. I'd go for a hair transplant, but I don't have that kinda money. I had a friend that had one done on a scar on his head. He had to have the procedure done twice! Expensive! So I'll stick with being bald lol.

Best of luck to you all!

good for you , same happened to me , now when people make comments or make fun i just smile along.. doesnot bother me any longer, but still would be great to recover my precious lost hair