+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I losing my hair? Asian 23 yr old

Hi all,

I am 23 and chinese. After having a haircut, i noticed that in some angles, i could see my scalp through the hair. This prompted me to take some photos and videos, some of which were quite alarming.

Part of me is convinced i am going bald but there is one important thing that makes me think i could be ok - the fact I am asian.

Asians have hair which sticks up/out stubbornly and at right angles to the scalp. If i try to flatten my hair, it pops straight back up..... Moreover, my hair is incredibly straight all the way round my head.

As a result of this, could this be why it looks like im balding? when in reality it's just my hair?

I don't think my hair has ever been particularly thick, so i don't have anything to compare to, which is part of the issue.

I haven't really noticed any large shedding, ie when I wash my hair in the morning either.

Could you take a look at some of the photos below please and let me know your opinions? mix of flash, dry & wet.

Would appreciate any feedback.

If it does turn out that I am not actually balding, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here.

Thanks

One of the most alarming ones

Are you receding?

Quote Originally Posted by BiqqieSmalls View Post
    Are you receding?
    Hi Biqqiesmalls, my hair isn't receding, it just appears to be thinning and I can see my scalp like above (or when looking at the angle in the direction which my hair grows)

However, because my hair is so straight, I'm just wondering if it is actually thinning or is my the camera is just looking straight down the hairs.

Does anyone else have any more opinions?

I would say no you are not. But I would keep a close eye on it. Not everyday, but every few months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by NOhairNOlife View Post
    I would say no you are not. But I would keep a close eye on it. Not everyday, but every few months or so.
    Thanks, what's your opinion on this picture? Sorry if I'm sounding paranoid

I've been told by a few people (here and other forums) that I may not be losing hair, and that it may be due to me having a double whorl (do I have a double whorl?)

However someone said they were Asian and said that I was showing signs (as that's how they looked) and said I was Norwood 0.5

Obviously I'm jumping to the negative answer, but that's just human nature, which one do you reckon is more correct?

I personally dont think you are thinning I think it is your asian hair characteristics like you said. Dont stress take some pictures with same lighting etc in 4 months time and see if there is any difference. Are you noticing fallen or loose hairs ?

When I noticed I was loosing hair I first started receding at the corners and I then noticed hair on my hands when I shampood or styled my hair. Also when I would run a comb through my hair onto the countertop loose hairs would fall. Since I have been on finastaride it has become alot better. Before this I never would have loose hairs if lucky one or two at the most.

I think if you are noticing loose or fallen hairs for me anyway this is the tell tale sign. Then jump on the only proven treatment asap. Goodluck

Have your hair always been this way? What's the hair history of the males in your family?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    Have your hair always been this way? What's the hair history of the males in your family?
    My hair has only been short for a long while so it's not something I've noticed, though my friend said my has has always been kind of thin, though it's not something that he would have checked very often. Though to be fair, when I get a 5 on the sides, I've always been able to see scalp (for the past two years anyway, since I've had short hair) whereas he can go for a 3/4 and see no scalp.

My dad on my dad's side I can't remember, my dad is now balding at the Crown and out at the age of 50 but my mums grand parents all still have hair, and they're in their 80s.

Heres 2 pictures of me four/five years to compare. Bear in mind, my hair was really long back then and if I do have a double crown, could my long hair have covered that up? Also the camera angle isn't quite straight on, but you can still see crown/scalp. The first picture is about a good ten metres away or so.