+ Reply to Thread

Default monistat question

How's everybody doing, im new to these forums.

To give a little background on myself i've had a receding hairline for about 2 years now, and the hair i have on top is significantly thinning. Being only 21 i've been really depressed and insecure about it. I've never taken Propecia or Rogaine and not planning to, i've considered a transplant to fix the hairline but decided to pass.

Recently i was told about product called Monistat which is actually used to treat yeast infection in women. However if you do some search on the net, this products gets positive feedback on stimulating growth as well as thickness in hair.

Im considering trying the product and im wondering if anyone has tried it? The only feedback i was able to get was from the woman's side.

any men here who have any experience with Monistat?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

The only anti-fungal medication that I have heard may help with hair loss or hair quality is Ketoconazole. It comes in a shampoo call Nizoral. There is a over the counter 1% and a prescription 2% available at the pharmacy.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Monistat contains Miconazole Nitrate which is very similar to Ketoconazole. Some say monistat causes headaches in some people but I am going to give it a shot just to see what happens. Ive just started seeing a slight balding spot and think its worth a shot. If you google it you can find quite a few before and after pics that are interesting. I am going to alternate between Nizoral and monostat

Thank you for starting this thread. On another hair loss forum some women were discussing using Monistat for scalp hair growth and claimed that it helped. I've often wondered if MPB and other forms of hair loss might have a fungal component. If that were the case, antifungals might have some benefit. I really wish there were more research exploring this potential treatment. I have thought about trying Monistat myself, but I am concerned about scalp irritation and possible side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I really wish there were more research exploring this potential treatment.
    I have only been able to find information on one small study that was conducted to determine the effect of Ketoconazole (Nizoral) shampoo on treating hair loss. Though the study results were promising, the duration of the study was too short and the number of participants in the study was too small. Ketoconazole (Nizoral) and Miconazole (Monistat) are similar medications. Since Nizoral already has at least one small study to support using it and it is already intended for use on the scalp, why not just use Nizoral?

Since Nizoral already has at least one small study to support using it and it is already intended for use on the scalp, why not just use Nizoral?
    I actually have a prescription for 2.0% Nizoral, which my dermatologist has instructed me to use every other day for my seborrheic dermatitis and scalp itching. I have been on this regimen for some time, and the Nizoral seems to have helped reduce the flaking, but it dries out my skin, and I still have frequent itching in my thinning areas, and I have not noticed any significant regrowth of lost hair. Hence my interest in Monistat. I have heard that its active ingredient is effective against a larger variety of fungal organisms that Ketoconazole, and the anecdotal reports of hair regrowth are intriguing. I have some concern though as the over-the-counter Monistat lotions are not intended for scalp use, and I really wish I could get more information on safety and possible side effects of off-label use.