The Evidence for PRP (including growth factors)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justinian
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bigentries
    Horrible methodology or outright lying

I put lasers and Nizoral in that list too. "Proven" treatments that lack any sort of anecdotal evidence
    Basically this.

Just basing off what I remember reading, Minox gives ~20% re-growth on average and many people say it doesn't work (some are probably legitimate non-responders). PRP in studies gives 10-15% if I remember correctly. This is a difference but not a huge difference and it won't always be noticeable. Also many studies are done after repeat treatments. You can't go into into it thinking a single treatment will have some miraculous results, so people's expectations are too high. And to top it off the price of it sets people's expectations too high.

If the money is surplus money, it's probably worth it. If you have to save for it, it's probably not worth it.

Lastly, if you search on clinicaltrials.gov there are several ongoing trials for PRP. It will be interesting to see the results. What I think is very promising is that PRP could provide long term maintenance. There will probably never be a study done on that though.

Comment

• nofintowin
      • Apr 2015

Justinian, after how long did you start noticing results with PRP? I started my first treatment January 2, 2015. Since then, I've had 3 more treatments, so four in total. So right now, I'm at the 3.5 month mark.

Comment

Working...