+ Reply to Thread

Default Pretty sure I'm going bald...should I bother with propecia yet?

Right, so I'm nearly 22 and about this time last year noticed recession at my temples. Most of my friends had it to some degree so I figured it was just the famous 'maturing hairline'.

Took a look at it the other day and I'm now around a Norwood 2, maybe slightly better. I've lurked on these forums for a whole and i know some of you guys get pissed off at people with pretty much full heads of hair freaking out, so thanks for helping me out.

In terms of the genetic lottery, my dad noticed himself going back quite a lot in his early to mid twenties, but stopped at a Norwood 2 or slightly more and has stayed the same ever since (he is now in 50s and to casual observers has a full head of hair). My father's father had a similar pattern, as did his brother (difference being the latter progressed to Norwood 4 by 50).

My maternal grandfather was pretty damn bald by 30, but his brother kept a full head of hair into old age. All four of my great-grandfathers kept their hair. Of my great-uncles, none were noticeably bald until they were intto their 60s.

So on the whole, I have pretty damn good genetics...I'm just worried that approaching a Norwood 2 at 22 y.o means I'm like my maternal grandfather (only weak link in the balding genetics chain!)...of course I could also be following my dad's genes.

Should I get on propecia (would eat up most of my casual budget and prevent holidays etc) and preserve what I have, or wait it out? Could it be a 'mature hairline' that will stop receding?...I have a round face and desperately cannot afford to lose my hair aesthetically.

Apologies for yet another one of these posts, and thanks for any advice!

If this is *just* about the money, you can just get Finesteride, which is 5mg and costs like $20 for a "month" supply. Of course, you don't want to take 5mg. I personally use a pill crusher and just take a little dab of powder every other day.
    I only use about 0.25mg, as it seems to be nearly as effective as the whole mg. I also only do it every other day.

I was pretty aggressively headed to a bad NW. I went from NW1 to nearly NW3 in under two years. Even on this 1/8 dose, I've completely stopped.

As for your case specifically, I would suggest you start using Nizoral shampoo 2x a wee at a minimum. It has some anti-inflamatory properties and seems to block some DHT. It was originally discovered as a treatment for MPB when bodybuilders on steroids who used it, saw far less hair loss.
    It's not enough for serious hair loss, but it can curb things.

One thing I will say is that for now, I would not use Minox. Once you start, you have to keep at it, and there's no reason to use it yet. Pro you can just up and drop if you feel like it, and you won't have all your hair instantly fall out.

If you are not sure that you are balding then wait until you are. If I could go back in time I would have taken fin when I first started losing which was around your age. We all have to make the decision for ourselves though.

I wouldn’t start propecia as of now, unless I found out the exact reason for receding hairline. If genetics is not the reason, it could be nutritional deficiencies, stress, or hormonal issue. Nutrients needed by your body as supported by your previous diet will not be enough, so the body will be stressed out, leading to hair loss. Anyone, whose temples have only just started to recede, might be able to fully recover their hairline. But, honestly, I think stopping further temple recession is the most realistic target, because recovery of hair at the temples is possible but more difficult. However, I am really not in favour of self medication. If you’re really worried, a visit to dermatologist would be worth, where you can get your hormones tested and can start medications accordingly. If at all you want to take preventive steps, you can think of few natural remedies at this stage. Try saw palmetto or biotin, even scalp massage might help.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingOracle View Post
    If this is *just* about the money, you can just get Finesteride, which is 5mg and costs like $20 for a "month" supply. Of course, you don't want to take 5mg. I personally use a pill crusher and just take a little dab of powder every other day.
    I only use about 0.25mg, as it seems to be nearly as effective as the whole mg. I also only do it every other day.

I was pretty aggressively headed to a bad NW. I went from NW1 to nearly NW3 in under two years. Even on this 1/8 dose, I've completely stopped.

As for your case specifically, I would suggest you start using Nizoral shampoo 2x a wee at a minimum. It has some anti-inflamatory properties and seems to block some DHT. It was originally discovered as a treatment for MPB when bodybuilders on steroids who used it, saw far less hair loss.
    It's not enough for serious hair loss, but it can curb things.

One thing I will say is that for now, I would not use Minox. Once you start, you have to keep at it, and there's no reason to use it yet. Pro you can just up and drop if you feel like it, and you won't have all your hair instantly fall out.

Is it hard to get the 5mg perscribed for male pattern baldness? It sounded like my doctor wasn't too into the idea. I told him I wanted the 5mg pills and he said that was only for a prostate disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Odam View Post
    I wouldn’t start propecia as of now, unless I found out the exact reason for receding hairline. If genetics is not the reason, it could be nutritional deficiencies, stress, or hormonal issue. Nutrients needed by your body as supported by your previous diet will not be enough, so the body will be stressed out, leading to hair loss. Anyone, whose temples have only just started to recede, might be able to fully recover their hairline. But, honestly, I think stopping further temple recession is the most realistic target, because recovery of hair at the temples is possible but more difficult. However, I am really not in favour of self medication. If you’re really worried, a visit to dermatologist would be worth, where you can get your hormones tested and can start medications accordingly. If at all you want to take preventive steps, you can think of few natural remedies at this stage. Try saw palmetto or biotin, even scalp massage might help.
    This isn't true is it? That disorders and environment factors can cause a hair loss pattern that mimmicks male pattern baldness. Right?