+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Some people lose hair really early on. When I was doing research into hair loss the advise I read was that if you want to go for a hair transplant you should wait until you are in your 30's because that's when you can see the extent of what you are going to lose. I'm sure people may disagree with that, I'm only pointing out what I read though. I guess the idea is if you have a hair transplant when you are 23 then 8 years later you lose everything then it would be deemed as a bit of a waste of money. By all means if you have lots of money then I guess you can afford to do it then that's better than waiting right? But if like me you are a pauper, then you can maybe save up your life savings to get 1 or 2 hair transplants in your lifetime. If that's the case make it count!

I'm 20 (will turn 21 in 2 months) and I'm considering getting a hair transplant for my temples and frontal/crown area (which is less dense) next year.
    no way in hell can I wait till I'm 30. I can't spend 10 more years of my life with my worsening hairloss condition.
    Could you explain what the problem is if the transplanted hairs are mostly DHT-resistant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaan View Post
    I'm 20 (will turn 21 in 2 months) and I'm considering getting a hair transplant for my temples and frontal/crown area (which is less dense) next year.
    no way in hell can I wait till I'm 30. I can't spend 10 more years of my life with my worsening hairloss condition.
    Could you explain what the problem is if the transplanted hairs are mostly DHT-resistant?
    The main problem is that whilst your DHT resistant hairs continue to grow healthy the rest of your hair continues the pattern it was always going to do. Let's say that you have unlucky genes and that you were always going to be a Norwood 6. You get the transplant and it makes your hair look good for a year or so. Then gradually over time the rest of the hair begins to receed and in 10-20 years time you would still be a norwood 6, but a norwood 6 with a frontal hairline. It would look absolutely ridiculous. The reason they say to wait until you are later in your life is because by then, you should be able to see at what extent your hairloss is going to be. Unless you have the money to keep paying for a transplant every 5 years to keep up with your rate of balding and even then, your head only holds so many folicles to redistribute. I don't mean to put you off and I know it's not exactly fair. I think you should understand the facts though and even if a surgeon says to you "that's BS" chances are they are just after your money. Google it, and be well informed before you make a decision