+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What are my options? Is 25 too young for transplant?

I'm almost 27 band I started noticing my receding hairline at around 20. It has been going slowly over the years and now is getting much worse much faster. Now I am losing my hair right down the middle which looks awful, like I have gapped F*****G teeth. I believe it's hereditary as my Dad and Grandfather (on his side) have no hair on the top of their heads. I have been using nioxin to thicken it, and tried rogain, which did nothing. I also took finasteride for 4 months but stopped because I noticed my libido was going and couldn't keep an erection with someone I had been hooking up with (to add to the embarrassment). Right now the only thing I can do us use hair product and toppik to cover or hide the spots, which probably makes me lose hair more due to gunk left over. I don't look good shaved and bicked at all so I'm looking at a few options:

Hair laser - I have read forums with good results and ones with bad. Most of the good reviews look fake, so I was wondering if there are any people here that have had good results. I will gladly buy one if I know people have had good results with it.

FUE Transplant - I'll probably continue losing hair for a while, so I feel like this would just patch parts of my head while the rest diminishes. Is it really around ~10k price range, or more for a full head? I work 40 hours a week in an office, so I'd probably also go in with scars all over my forehead.

Wait for stem cell? This technique has just been looked into by doctors and probably wont be around for a while.

Can anyone confirm or deny my worries with the treatments, or suggest anything new? I've searched the internet all over and I feel like there's nothing I can do, probably like the rest of you out there.

bump

Only read bad of hair laser. And I don't see how it could work long term anyway.

I don't know your hair loss, but I personally consider a smaller FuE transplant when I lose enough, currently I only got about 3-3.5cm receding and 1 cm receding in the middle. And money isn't a problem for me.

Indeed, if you don't want to take the drugs, finasteride(You claim you have bad sides) or minoxidil(which seems to me works only temporarily anyway, ~2years and can speed balding up). Then there is very few options outside of transplants that will really have an effect.

There is of course wigs and cover methods... and the long patient wait for stem cells. And you will need a real cure, not just to stop the hair loss, but a cure that can grow hair in balding areas. Who know how long that will take, 10-20 years? I am sorry, but there isn't a lot out there for you other than the things you listed yourself and wigs that will have a major effect.

thanks Trenblastoise.

For anyone wondering,
    Here's a view from the top:

Here's a view from the front:

Any ideas on how many grafts this would be/cost? And can I do monthly payments?
    Should I wait to get a hair transplant since I'll probably keep losing hair, or is there something the surgeons can do about that?

Quote Originally Posted by udoreswob View Post
    thanks Trenblastoise.

For anyone wondering,
    Here's a view from the top:

Here's a view from the front:

Should I wait to get a hair transplant since I'll probably keep losing hair, or is there something the surgeons can do about that?
    Is that whole spot where the skin gets lighter and slicker looking right above the forehead line where the hair used to be? My forehead has that same look when I pull my hair back, it looks a little lighter and fiferent but it might just be from the hair covering it from the sun.

Yup, that's correct topback.

Just to reiterate the questions, as these pics take up a lot of space:

Quote Originally Posted by topback View Post
    Is that whole spot where the skin gets lighter and slicker looking right above the forehead line where the hair used to be? My forehead has that same look when I pull my hair back, it looks a little lighter and fiferent but it might just be from the hair covering it from the sun.
    This is what i meanT[IMG][/IMG]

@topback

It never went down that far, Ive always had a large forehead, but it was probably a good inch lower at some point

Quote Originally Posted by udoreswob View Post
    @topback

It never went down that far, Ive always had a large forehead, but it was probably a good inch lower at some point
    Oh what I would do is tell the surgeon to thicken it up so that any amount of minute hair loss is unnoticable past your surgery and I would take propecia if you aren't already.

How has your hair loss been lately has it been the same it is now? What did you look like ages 21-24?

Also about costs: Most surgeons in America will charge $10/gaft, but in mexico I think it gets closer to $5. If you can manage to get to turkey for a transplant it will cost $2-3/gaft, which is what a lot of people do. As for making payments I'm not sure, you should just find some surgeons and call them if there is a monthly payment plan or something.

Quote Originally Posted by topback View Post
    Oh what I would do is tell the surgeon to thicken it up so that any amount of minute hair loss is unnoticable past your surgery and I would take propecia if you aren't already.

How has your hair loss been lately has it been the same it is now? What did you look like ages 21-24?

Also about costs: Most surgeons in America will charge $10/gaft, but in mexico I think it gets closer to $5. If you can manage to get to turkey for a transplant it will cost $2-3/gaft, which is what a lot of people do. As for making payments I'm not sure, you should just find some surgeons and call them if there is a monthly payment plan or something.
    I took finasteride for around 4 months, and stopped about 2 months ago because I think it started affecting my sex drive. Maybe it sped up because of this "Cycling" I hear about. I wonder if that could have caused perminant damage to my hair line stopping taking it. Maybe I should go back on it?

Thickening sounds like a good idea, I wonder how many grafts it would take. I have thin hair, but a lot of it in a small area (which has to be the absolute worst type of hair for a HT). At 21-22 I just mostly had receding in the corners, but started noticing the middle was getting lighter at around 24. It's sped up a lot lately to where I think i've lost a good half centimeter on my forehead or so in the past few months.

I guess turkey would be a good way to go, 500-$1000 for a plane ticket, but the grafts being 75% off compared to US surgeons is intriguing. I am going to cancun in November, but I definitely won't have enough money by then, especially if I'm looking for monthly payments.