+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default LASERS: 2015 Study says they can remove hair-- but can also GROW HAIR

2015 Apr 10

Enhancing hair follicle regeneration by nonablative fractional laser: Assessment of irradiation parameters and tissue response.

Wu YF1, Wang SH, Wu PS, Fan SM, Chiu HY, Tsai TH, Lin SJ.
    Author information

Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE:
    Identification of methods to enhance anagen entry can be helpful for alopecia. Recently, nonablative laser has been proposed as a potential treatment for alopecia. However, how the laser parameters affect stem cell activity, hair cycles and the associated side effects have not been well characterized. Here we examine the effects of irradiation parameters of 1,550-nm fractional laser on hair cycles.

STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS:
    The dorsal skin of eight-week-old female C57BL/6 mice with hair follicles in synchronized telogen was shaved and irradiated with a 1,550-nm fractional erbium-glass laser (Fraxel RE:STORE (SR1500) Laser System, Solta Medical, U.S.A.) with varied beam energies (5-35 mJ) and beam densities (500-3500 microthermal zones/cm2 ). The cutaneous changes were evaluated both grossly and histologically. Hair follicle stem cell activity was detected by BrdU incorporation and changes in gene expression were quantified by real-time PCR.

RESULTS:
    Direct thermal injury to hair follicles could be observed early after irradiation, especially at higher beam energy. Anagen induction in the irradiated skin showed an all-or-non change. Anagen induction and ulcer formation were affected by the combination of beam energy and density. The lowest beam energy of 5 mJ failed to promote anagen entry at all beam densities tested. As beam energy increased from 10 mJ to 35 mJ, we found a decreasing trend of beam density that could induce anagen entry within 7-9 days with activation of hair follicle stem cells. Beam density above the pro-regeneration density could lead to ulcers and scarring followed by anagen entry in adjacent skin. Analysis of inflammatory cytokines, including TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6, revealed that transient moderate inflammation was associated with anagen induction and intense prolonged inflammation preceded ulcer formation.

CONCLUSION:
    To avoid side effects of hair follicle injury and scarring, appropriate combination of beam energy and density is required. Parameters outside the therapeutic window can result in either no anagen promotion or ulcer formation. Lasers Surg. Med. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
    © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

I'm a laser skeptic, but maybe there really is something to the treatment. There obviously is some merit to wounding.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    I'm a laser skeptic, but maybe there really is something to the treatment. There obviously is some merit to wounding.
    This type of laser has NOTHING to do with LLT (i.e. laser helmets, combs, etc).

This is more like laser hair removal--- a significantly more powerful laser (if you've had laser hair removal, you'd know it's semi painful).

Apples and oranges. This is legit.

Essentially, it is highly targeted wounding. Way better than dermarolling, chemical peels, etc etc

The laser works but they don't understand fully how, it's not uncommon hypertricosis when you want hair removal

Quote Originally Posted by Keki View Post
    The laser works but they don't understand fully how, it's not uncommon hypertricosis when you want hair removal
    Agreed.

Is this not the question they (allegedly) answer in this article?

They determined a very specific "therapeutic window" -- albeit for mice. They even say it is a "all or nothing" procedure. Meaning it works or doesnt... no using stuff that only sprouts a few hairs. It's a very exact all or nothing result.

This could be tested TODAY... with yay or nay results available within 10 days..... the article just went on pubmed a couple days ago.

Can anybody think of a way to try this? There are laser hair removal clinics, with this equipment, all over the world. Thousands.

probably will just be best used as post op.

Quote Originally Posted by ShookOnes View Post
    probably will just be best used as post op.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0W-la-6C34

i think you misunderstand what this laser is.... read agan

Give a man a fin and you save his hair for a day; teach a man to laser and you give him NW1 for a lifetime.

- ancient american proverb

Interesting find and a hilarious proverb. I'm laser skeptic, but this does have some merit in my mind (not saying that means much). Hopefully we'll get a development on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Interesting find and a hilarious proverb. I'm laser skeptic, but this does have some merit in my mind (not saying that means much). Hopefully we'll get a development on this.
    I'm anti- laser helmets... that low-light-therapy lasers (LLT)

This is a much stronger laser-- like the one used for hair removal.

The two approaches are significantly different, completely unrelated. LLT is based on... stimulation? What I posted is based on wounding (which we know works)