+ Reply to Thread

Default Do you think MPB can be stopped?

Hello,

I asked this on another forum and wanted to hear some more opinions - do you agree that with cases of aggressive MPB, the best you can hope for is very gradual receding?

I haven't yet heard of anyone yet that has managed to completely stop aggressive MPB (began losing hair quickly at a young age) with the treatments currently available.

I adopted a hardcore regime as soon as the receding began, 5 years ago, and now have a stronger hairline than my brother, who is 2 years younger than me, and a number of my friends. However, my temples have never stopped receding. I've spoken to other members of the 'hair loss community' who caught their MPB very early and whose male relatives lost their hair at a young age and the results are the same; slowed receding, but not stopped.

Anyway, I don't want people to take this the wrong way. I'm not miserable or angry; without hair loss treatments, my hair would be in far worse condition and I don't regret using them for a second. I just don't honestly believe that aggressive MPB can be halted.

Without dutasteride and with current treatments I say no MPB cant be stopped right now. You need something to compete against both T and DHT at receptors like RU/CB something like that or maybe PGD 2 will stop MPB in the future. propecia is not enough IMO and maybe not even dut. I still think T is the big missing factor causing MPB to keep rolling. Someone that takes steroids raises there T a lot but not DHT yet they start going bald a lot of times. You cant look at DHT in isolation there are other androgens and T is crazy abundant in men it only makes sense. You dont see lots of women with thick facrial hair and body hair why is that? Just DHT seems unlikely to me but estrogen might help resist androgens too
    Well androgen sensivity is the real piece of the puzzle but will we ever understand that enough to do anything about it

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Without dutasteride and with current treatments I say no MPB cant be stopped right now. You need something to compete against both T and DHT at receptors like RU/CB something like that or maybe PGD 2 will stop MPB in the future. propecia is not enough IMO and maybe not even dut. I still think T is the big missing factor causing MPB to keep rolling. Someone that takes steroids raises there T a lot but not DHT yet they start going bald a lot of times. You cant look at DHT in isolation there are other androgens and T is crazy abundant in men it only makes sense. You dont see lots of women with thick facrial hair and body hair why is that? Just DHT seems unlikely to me but estrogen might help resist androgens too
    Well androgen sensivity is the real piece of the puzzle but will we ever understand that enough to do anything about it
    Dut completely halts hair loss bro.

I am a physician but do not have any expertise in hair loss treatment options. After extensive review of the literature, I believe we are about 10 years away from stopping hairloss from male androgenetic alopecia.

Quote Originally Posted by BiqqieSmalls View Post
    Dut completely halts hair loss bro.
    In aggressive cases of MPB I don't believe it does.

Well I think dut might stop MPB in some men but certainly not all of them, and even some might still start losing again hard to say. Its certainly the best thing that exists now although I would argue its slightly dangerous to inhibit all DHT like that long term.
    Something like CB that competes at the receptor level with not just DHT but T would go a long way I think especially compounded with current stuff. Castration prevents MPB and I know its pretty old news but I have yet to see actual proof any other method prevents MPB yet. Not to say others like PGD 2 wont just no proof yet.