+ Reply to Thread

Question how much hair is it normal to lose in shower or when styling / geling?

How much hair is it normal to lose after drying hair and/or after geling?
    I'm just trying to determine if I'm losing more or less than somebody not suffering from MPB (a norwood0)?
    After I shower and I dry my hair I notice about 8 to 10 hairs at the base of shower. Which seems normal, right?
    But when I put putty/wax in my hair and style it, I've counted between 25 and 30 hairs on my hands. Is that normal? (When I style I have to pull on my hair to spike it)

I lose hair everywhere, in shower, car, even when I run my fingers through my hair, I lose at least one. This is totally normal and you probably have no need to worry. It's normal to lose somewhere around 80-100 hairs every day. The true indication will not be the amount of hair that comes out, but whether that amount has changed. If you’re noticing more hair than normal in the drain, and it’s making difference to your hair, you should seek dermatologist for few tests. As hair cycles between phases of growth and rest, everyone naturally loses between 50 and 100 hairs a day, depending on genetics. Also, it varies quite a lot individually, as per different seasons, different diet, health etc.
    How often you wash your hair? Washing your hair everyday is bad though, I think it depletes the natural oils in your hair and your scalp has to overcompensate. Make sure you do oil massage to your scalp and leave it for 3 hours before washing. Using aroma oils can enhance the benefits.

I was just curious if the amount I was losing is normal. I wash my hair everyday. As I style it with putty everyday.

If you lose not more than about 100 hairs each day, then it is normal.
    Anyway, I'd recommend you to avoid excessive use of styling products as these can affect the health of your scalp and block hair follicles, causing hair thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Johny41 View Post
    If you lose not more than about 100 hairs each day, then it is normal.
    Anyway, I'd recommend you to avoid excessive use of styling products as these can affect the health of your scalp and block hair follicles, causing hair thinning.
    It would be difficult to determine how much hair I lose on a daily basis. But what I see from showering and styling it seems to be around 30 or so, 8 to 10 in shower and 20 or so styling (as I pull on my hair to spike it)

Really I thought that was an old wives tail? Does this apply to hair dryers. Since I wash my hair every night I use a hairdryer before applying minoxidol.

I lose about 30-50/day from combing my hair dry to rinsing, shampooing, drying, then combing again.

Quote Originally Posted by RU58841 View Post
    I lose about 30-50/day from combing my hair dry to rinsing, shampooing, drying, then combing again.
    I can recommend to use a paraben and sls free shampoo.
    Little bit off topic of course, but it´s quiet incredible what chemicals they put in our daily products that penetrates our skin.

Quote Originally Posted by NOhairNOlife View Post
    It would be difficult to determine how much hair I lose on a daily basis. But what I see from showering and styling it seems to be around 30 or so, 8 to 10 in shower and 20 or so styling (as I pull on my hair to spike it)

Really I thought that was an old wives tail? Does this apply to hair dryers. Since I wash my hair every night I use a hairdryer before applying minoxidol.
    Yeah, it’s a truth that excessive use of styling products including hair spray, hair gel exacerbates hair loss, as it causes a build up of sebum, having a detrimental effect on your hair follicle. In fact, whether its heat, chemicals, dyes, or styling, it's all doing some degree of damage. Though, the ingredients used in hairspray, shampoos, gels, etc do not inherently because hair loss, the process of using these products may cause damage that could lead to hair loss due to breakage. Heat causes temporary changes to the hydrogen bonds that hold hair together and that can make hair look dull. Over time, the temporary changes can lead to more permanent damage if you tend to blow dry or iron on a daily basis. Using a comb to style your hair after you apply the product can cause the hair to break and can lead to hair loss over time. Use of chemical based hair products and even heat processing, can permanently affect the follicle and result in hair loss. Hair gels tend to dehydrate your hair which further causes your hair to break and fall out. When external pollutants chemicals present in the gel come in contact with dead cells and sebum on the scalp, it blocks the hair follicles. This causes the hair to fall out.
    In extreme cases, shampoos which dry the scalp or conditioning products which occlude the scalp and can cause irritation that can hair loss worse. Everybody doesn’t require daily washing, but it depends on your lifestyle. If you wish to wash your hair daily, be sure you use gently shampoo and chemical-free conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Odam View Post
    Yeah, it’s a truth that excessive use of styling products including hair spray, hair gel exacerbates hair loss, as it causes a build up of sebum, having a detrimental effect on your hair follicle. In fact, whether its heat, chemicals, dyes, or styling, it's all doing some degree of damage. Though, the ingredients used in hairspray, shampoos, gels, etc do not inherently because hair loss, the process of using these products may cause damage that could lead to hair loss due to breakage. Heat causes temporary changes to the hydrogen bonds that hold hair together and that can make hair look dull. Over time, the temporary changes can lead to more permanent damage if you tend to blow dry or iron on a daily basis. Using a comb to style your hair after you apply the product can cause the hair to break and can lead to hair loss over time. Use of chemical based hair products and even heat processing, can permanently affect the follicle and result in hair loss. Hair gels tend to dehydrate your hair which further causes your hair to break and fall out. When external pollutants chemicals present in the gel come in contact with dead cells and sebum on the scalp, it blocks the hair follicles. This causes the hair to fall out.
    In extreme cases, shampoos which dry the scalp or conditioning products which occlude the scalp and can cause irritation that can hair loss worse. Everybody doesn’t require daily washing, but it depends on your lifestyle. If you wish to wash your hair daily, be sure you use gently shampoo and chemical-free conditioner.
    Great info Odam!

As an addition: NoHairNoLife, try to avoid using hair dryers, if it is not possible, don't dry your hair immediately after washing and dry it with cold air, not hot air.