+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Doctor Representative Raphael84hair's Avatar

Hi Felix,

Where are you based?

Any Dr who may be able to provide you a prescription for topical finasteride would suffice.
    Then it is a matter of contacting a recommended pharmacy to be able order the product.

Just reach out if you need some help.

International Patient Advisor - Bisanga Cole Hair Transplant Clinic - Athens, Greece
    Online Consultation - https://bchairtransplant.com/online-consultation/
    bc2@bchairtransplant.com Whatsapp +34 642 37 03 83

Last week I had a hair transplant (1800 grafts) performed by Dr. Thomas Mantse. As I already wrote, I was also considering Dr.Sikos, but in the end I chose Dr. Mantse from the following reasons: In June I visited Dr.Mantse's clinic in Budapest and he recommended me transplanting 3 000 grafts and he said that he is performing a hair transplant by himself (extraction and planting), doing max 1000 grafts per day.

With Dr.Sikos clinic I had a skype session. The plan was talking with Dr.Sikos, but unfortunately first time the clinic postponed our session to next week and second time the skype session was done only by assistant that was showing presentation about hair transplant. I told her that we can skip presentation and we can rather discuss. Most important information that discouraged me was that Dr.SIkos does not perform the whole transplant (I assume that Dr. should do better job than assistants) and crucial info that 3000 grafts would be done only in 1 day. Therefore, I chose Dr.Mantse.

I was not sure whether I would undergo one big hair transplant or I would rather divide transplant into two smaller sessions. Eventually, I have decided for 1800 grafts for the first hair transplant and when the result will be good I would undergo the second one next year.

Now the main part. The hair transplant was done on Thursday and Friday last week. The whole process was already described by Offalsocks in his comment. I can relate to most of it. But I haven't noticed whether tools were rusted or not (I hope not). On the other hand, I have remembered from Offalsocks comment that agony started when the numbing injections were injected. I wouldn't say it. Sure, nothing pleasant, but I can imagine more intense pain like drilling teeth at dentist... Maybe what I felt more uncomfortable was constant pressure on the head and nose on the pillow during harvesting which is normal I think. Harvesting took until apprx. 11 a.m then I had lunch.

Then we began second part - planting. Lying on the back was more comfortable and I could have watched TV, but I would say that pain was more intense. Doctor said that it is pain going from the back and gave me another painkiller. I felt some pain during the whole time, but it was tolerable. The first day I received 1000 grafts to the hair line and front and planting took until apprx. 5 p.m.

My hair transplant didn't go smoothly because I was excessively bleeding and doctor was nervous about it and I was afraid that it might impact the hair transplant... Doctor assured me that it will not have impact hair transplant just more work for him.

Second day we continued with another 800 grafts going from hairline to top. This day went smoothlier, faster, less pain and according to doctor little less bleeding. I was finished around 2 p.m. and the same day I went home.

Third day I was still exhausted and slept most of the day. Bleeding from donor area stopped. I had some work because I noticed that I didn't took out all the bandages from donor area and it began to be very glued.

Sleeping during first 4 nights were not very comfortable because donor was still sensitive and I needed to sleep on my back. Based on recommendation of doctor, I bought a traveling pillow in U type and placed it under my casual pillow to be softened a bit and still blocks turning the head during sleep.

To be honest, I was little bit surprised that fue was so exhausting especially first day. Maybe because of bleeding... Having 2 or 3 thousand of grafts in one day would be unimaginable...

After a week my donor feels much better and I really like a new hairline, but what bothers me a lot, today I have noticed bald maps around the transplanted area. It looks like some places were omitted. Doctor says that Fu have fallen out with their scabs and that it is normal, but some of them I can find also on the earlier photos several days ago...

I will update about my progress in several months and also I would like to hear from Offalsocks and others how it ended.

Anyways, I hope that the result will be good and I will visit dr. Mantse for the second hair transplant next year again.

I am not possible to edit my previous comment at the moment and I would like to add/adjust some statements that I haven't formulated properly:

Doctor is not performing hair transplant alone, he has an assistant (his wife), who is helping with extraction of the grafts.

By statement I haven't noticed whether tools were rusted , I was just reacting to Offalsocks , but they were not for sure.

After second day I got gauze instead of bandage (bad wording).

About my last part that some places seem to be omitted, on the previous photo several days after hair transplant it looked like small spots were omitted, but grafts were still wounding and I can be wrong. This will be clear after several months.

I have contacted webmaster of the site 2 times to delete my old posts so I can adjust it into the one. But without answer...

Just to update my previous posts. The ommited places were there because I still had hair in those places... I haven't realized that.

How is your HT coming along

Hi mika,

nothing special to note yet. It has been just 3 months from HT so still waiting... hopefully it will be visible in the next months.

Default dr thomas mantse

Quote Originally Posted by Offalsocks View Post
    Yes I have just been to see him. He is very aloof and not at all like all the reviews I've read on him say. Yes, you are picked up and dropped off at the airport by chauffeur and the hotel is ok, although when you want room service they don't have a room service menu in the room so you have to go down to the restaurant to pick what you want which completely nullifies the point of room service!

You have breakfast at 7am in the hotel then a taxi picks you up at 7:45 which you pay for yourself. His surgery is in a large mansion, but he says he doesn't live there. When he lets you in he tells you to leave your shoes and put on a pair of crocs. There's no chit chat at all while you're led upstairs to get changed into surgical garments in a bathroom.

You're then asked to fill out a couple of forms, take 2 diazepam, 2 painkillers and an antibiotic. Still, there is no talking at all or even a description of what's about to happen. He then asks you to lay face first on the operating chair. The stitching inside the face hole is dirty, the scissors on the table are rusty, the chrome on the chairs and on the utensil table are very rusty or corroded. I later found out it is due to the amount of NaCl solution he sprays which is highly corrosive to non stainless steel. Still, it didn't fill me with confidence.

Then the agony happens! The numbing injections were one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences I have ever had, and I get beat up every week in sparring which is nothing compared to this.

Still no explaining or talking. Then he started harvesting the grafts which took about 2-3 hours, about an hour in, his wife assisted. They spoke Hungarian throughout the process and didn't speak to me once. Then at 11pm it was lunch, I wasn't really hungry as it was too soon after breakfast and I was high off the tablets. Then around 12pm he started the grafting on the front.

He gave me a white pencil and asked me to draw on the hairline I wanted, I was more concerned about the crown but he didn't ask me about this. Then more painful injections later, he started planting the grafts. He put the ID channel on the TV so I was watching crime documentaries for the next 6 hours. Any time I asked a question it was either a 5 word answer or "we will talk about this later" which never happened. The only thing he said to me in 6 hours was "wake up" as I fell asleep for a few seconds off the monotony of the TV channel coupled with the sedatives.

Then around 5pm he ran out of grafts and said he's finished and to change. Then put a light surgical hat on me and the taxi was outside. That was it! Aftercare was spray antibacterial spray on the donor and recipient site before I go to bed, have a lukewarm bath and wash the donor area for about 30 mins.

I woke up with some blood spots and a lot of clear ooze which leaked through the pillow. I know most surgeons place a gauze on the donor site on the first night, but he doesn't and I think that's probably a good thing as I've seen how much that gauze sticks to the head on other patients.

Next day, exactly the same again to the letter. Same programs on the ID channel as the day before, still no talking. Whereas he spent around 7-8 hours on the front, he only spent around 2-3 hours on the crown, which concerns me as this is the area I wanted more coverage on. He finished around 5:20pm taxi was waiting, aftercare advice was around a 20 second long sentence, then sent me on my way with his card and said any problems, call me.

Now for the good part. When I looked at his work in the mirror, the way he has done the fringe is perfect, very densely packed and not in rows like most of the Turkish surgeons. They were well inserted, better than anything I've seen on the internet and the area was very clean with no blood. I had to get home before my wife could tell me what the crown looked like and she tells me it is also densely packed. It was probably quicker as the crown hairs can be placed with less precision than the front.

The spray he provided me with was confiscated at the airport and he still hasn't sent me an email with the aftercare advice or an alternative to the spray that was taken off me.

If I had the money I would have went to a respected UK surgeon, but this guy has a lot of very good reviews and bizarrely a lot of people say he's friendly, informative and talkative which is the complete opposite of what I experienced.

I can't recommend him as of yet until I see the end results. If they are good, I would recommend him due to the price and his skill, just don't expect the 5 star experience his reviews lead you to believe.
    how did your hair transplant turn out offalsocks

Hi offalocks & felix. How is the hair coming along?