+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default propecia bad effects on hairline?

Been on propecia for a year now, I have had a slight v shape hairline for about 4 years but always had little hairs on either side.

I went on propecia to maintain it.

After propecia my hair line suddenly got much worse. Now I have a huge bald spot on my left side of my hairline. 4 years and I always had hair but one year on propecia its all gone. My right side is also bad but just not as bad.

If I come of propecia think my hairline will restore?

Dude! THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. One year mark and bang, left side has thinning Alli over it.. Have no ide wtf happened, but I want to quit to. Hopefully someone can shed light on this and give an answer.

How do you know it is the propecia causing it and not the natural progression of hair loss?

Well for one, when this happened to me my body felt odd.. I got increased libido for a little while, scalp started to burn and was irritated and my hair wasn't even a problem in the areas where I have thinning now. Two docs I saw said it sounded like a hormonal imbalance and propecia could have been the culprit, but I stuck with it. Now I'm at 1 year and 6 months and I'm WAYYYY below baseline and I'm steadily shedding like 30 hairs showering and whenever I run my hand through my hair I'll have like 3-4 intertwined around my fingers..

When the shed started at the one year mark, I was loosing 200+. Never in my life have I ever seen this happen. Also, I asked my brother if he experienced any of what I described when he lost hair (he has a receding hairline) and he said HELL NO.

There HAS to be something with the way propecia effects everyones endochrine systems and for some, maybe the excelerated hair loss is from an inbalance and the body telling you to stop taking the drug..

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    How do you know it is the propecia causing it and not the natural progression of hair loss?
    because as i said i had the v shape hsirline for 4 yesrs the thinning never progressed until i used propecia. my libido also went through the roof and i got strange head burning itch

Same thing happened to me man.. I stayed on it and it's subsiding.. Took 6 months and I'm still shedding and get slight itching.. Ive read stories about this happeneing, but this forum isn't good for things like this. I've posted here about this happening and got no where, but on a different forum so many people were trying to give advice. I wish I could help you out man, but the only info I was given that did make sense was the whole reflex hyperandrogencity phenomenon.

But yeah my hairline receded a bit, but behind is all thinned out now on one side.. Really sucks. I'm giving it til June/July because that'll be about 18-19 months and then I'm giving up on this pill. My hair got bad like I never could have imagined on fin. I doubt my situation will improve.

I still think the T spikes are the reason for some of these fin problems. Lowering the enzyme still leaves a good chunk of DHT left and now you have more T around to be converted to DHT. I never felt the T spikes from AAs like fin or dut were good things for hair. There were some old studies I thought where men injected with T go bald. T also causes MPB not just DHT even though propecia only raises T like 10 percent or so

Those studies really can't relate because the men that were injected weren't taking a drug that blocked the conversion from t to DHT.

Yeah I remember hearing that argument back then but it also doesnt rule out that it was the T and not the conversion to DHT could go either way. Maybe im just saying there is not a lot of evidence that T plays no role at all in MPB long term. Maybe it doesnt and im wrong

So in my situation is it best to just give up on the pill?
    Or cut down on hoe many days i take it?