+ Reply to Thread

Default Will working out cause my hair to fall?

I've been on fin for a year and a half but had a bad shed and hairline recession this winter.. I was working out during last summer, but hurt my shoulder so I had to stop and then the shed hit me like four months later.. Scared me and made me think it had something to do with it all..

I don't use creatine, just use protein.. So yeah, will working out be bad for my hair?

What? ^^^

What did that have to do with working out and losing hair?..

I injured my knee and four months later, BAM, shedding like 300 hairs a day. You could be experiencing telogen effluvium (TE)... After a bad physiological stress (i.e. injuring knee, shoulder...) your body sends a greater percentage of your hair follicles into a resting state (telogen). while generally 10% of your follicles are in telogen at any given time, TE can revert 30-50% into telogen!! after the trigger (injury) is initiated, it takes 3-4 months for the hairs to start ejected themselves. This can last for 2-6 months, sometimes longer, depending on the severity and duration of the trigger. The hairs that fall out during this process are characterized as telogen hairs by having a white bulb at the end.

Jamesst11, when this happened to you, did your scalp hurt and hair get greasy? I was working out and stopped because I hurt my shoulder. But yeah, about 4 months later it was like my hair got zapped out of my head.. Its been like 6 months and I'm shedding still although not as excessively. My hairline receded unfortunately during all of this, but I think it's mostly because it thinned out.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    I injured my knee and four months later, BAM, shedding like 300 hairs a day. You could be experiencing telogen effluvium (TE)... After a bad physiological stress (i.e. injuring knee, shoulder...) your body sends a greater percentage of your hair follicles into a resting state (telogen). while generally 10% of your follicles are in telogen at any given time, TE can revert 30-50% into telogen!! after the trigger (injury) is initiated, it takes 3-4 months for the hairs to start ejected themselves. This can last for 2-6 months, sometimes longer, depending on the severity and duration of the trigger. The hairs that fall out during this process are characterized as telogen hairs by having a white bulb at the end.
    Don't all hairs that fall out, regardless of TE or AA, have a white bulb at the end?

Yes, they mostly will have some keratinization, but trust me, in the midst of TE, the bulbs are much thicker and more apparent. Ziggy, just keep monitoring it and go to your dermatologist... TE has no cure, it usually resolves itself on it's own. In some cases, however, it can become chronic, if the stressing trigger is not removed. For you, it seems it was a blunt injury, you had massive hairless 4 months after, it's very possible this is TE. My TE kicked my A*S!!! I have MPB, like everyone in family. I had a thick, thick head of hair, but was receding in only one temple... decided a HT was the way. GOT HORRIBLE TE FROM THAT!! Then tore my ACL and meniscus. HAD HORRIBLE TE FROM THAT TOO! Then... knee surgery and you guessed it HORRIBLE EFFIN TE!!!
    IT BECOMES A PROBLEM, when it unleashes the nasty MPB. A LOT of hair I lost didn't return, especially in the MPB prone regions. I lost 60% of my hair in one year. So... if you do have MPB and are experiencing TE, I personally believe it's a good idea to be on minoxidil, finasteride and nizoral and to take a solid multivitamin and eat very, very well. This will help the hair come back.