+ Reply to Thread

Default 26 I think its time to try Propecia

So ive been noticing my hair thinning for years years. The back is still intact but the front is going fast. I usually have bangs and cover my temples with them. Lately that hasn't looked great so I buzzed it for the 1st time. Ive been using minoxidil for over a year. Dont know if its really helped. So now im thinking of trying propecia. I know its suppose to stop the hairloss but could it bring back some of my hairline? every little bit helps lol

Inactive

I would definitely give Propecia a shot. It will most likely slow down your hair loss quite considerably, but I wouldn't count on it to regrow any hair in the areas that are already bald. The main deterrence for men taking Propecia are the potential side effects, so just be aware of those. Just don't be too aware, as I'm a firm believer that often times the side effects are psychological/mental. Some guys are so afraid of getting the side effects that they subconsciously bring them on themselves and then attribute them to the drug.

Fortunately for you, the rest of your hair looks great and healthy, so if you're able to stop the hair loss from progressing, a hair transplant to fill the hairline back in could be a great option for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Perfect time to go on Propecia. You sound down to earth about all this, with your head on straight. Most of your hair looks pretty good so with Rogaine and Propecia, you may be able to stop the balding process for a good decade or so and perhaps even grown back a bit at the hairline (I did). You look good the way it is and the NW3 pattern your have is pretty normal for guys in their 30s, so its no big deal. If you grown out your hair longer, you can probably cover a bit more of it up and look fine.

Best of luck!

Macster

Nothing is a sure bet, but propecia is about as safe as drugs get. My derm like 5 years ago said he had tons of guys on it and it was really safe. There are men out there that have been on it for like 20-30 years at this point. I doubt anyone starting now will be on it for more then 5. Its fine your just trying to buy a few years until better stuff comes out and I think its pretty safe to say it will this time.

Propecia might be the solution to minimize your hair loss by lowering your DHT levels. I think it is one of the only drug that has proven to be effective in doing this.
    Although it is not going to improve the areas when you are already bald. Once your hair follicle dies, that's it there is no growing it back. Transplant will be the only option to improve that area. Propecia will only work where there is hair.

Under lots of light I can see small blonde hairs in the balding areas. some are even brownish. There is no chance of those returning to thick hairs?

Ive read about the sides but im willing to try it. Should of started a long time ago.

I cant really afford a transplant right now but would love to get one. Hopefully a better option comes sooner rather then later.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Fleury29 View Post
    Under lots of light I can see small blonde hairs in the balding areas. some are even brownish. There is no chance of those returning to thick hairs?

Ive read about the sides but im willing to try it. Should of started a long time ago.

I cant really afford a transplant right now but would love to get one. Hopefully a better option comes sooner rather then later.
    Just curious if you decided to give Propecia a shot. If you did, have you noticed it slowing down your hair loss?

Also, as far as that HT goes - if your credit is good, you can always take out a loan with a pretty good interest rate from your bank. I was able to get a really good deal with low interest and am only paying a couple hundred a month. It's automatically deducted from my account every month, and it's less than I would be paying for a car payment. Something to think about.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.