+ Reply to Thread

Default Switch over from Generic Finasteride to Propecia/Proscar?

I've seen it being discussed more often and tbh I don't necessarily want to start a discussion of Generic Finasteride vs Propecia, just if it would be good for me to switch from Generic fin to propecia or proscar.

I used to take propecia but because propecia costs like 55 euro / month over here. I switched to generic fin (which still is not that cheap: about 30 euro / month). Anyway I had some sides on propecia 1mg a day BUT at least that was a sign that the meds were working. After 1 month on propecia I switched to generic fin 1mg a day and my sides almost completely disappeared, I got more acne, higher libido and my MPB-itch got worse.

I'm not even talking about results because I know that takes time, I'm purely talking about the fact that this generic fin just doesn't seem to work as good as propecia. I've already contacted my dermatologist and he said there was no difference between the two because finasteride is finasteride. But I don't know, it just does not feel the same.

What do I do? Switch back to propecia, even though it's crazy expensive? I want to start proscar real bad but there are two problems:
    1) I'm not sure whether I can get a prescription for proscar
    2) I know that pharmacies won't always give you the same brand, they sometimes switch brands. Where do I find a stable source of proscar? Internet? (I live in Holland btw, that might matter with shipping) A pharmacy is probably not an option for a stable source right?

Thanks in advance for any insights/information.

I've been on generic fin for almost a year now. I have had zero sides, and my hair loss has stabilized which is what fin is supposed to do. I got little if any regrowth from it, which only a small percentage of men do. Now when i was buying generic fin it cost me US $70 a month from a chain pharmacy. that was a good chunk of change for a student. now i can buy a 3 month supply for $25 from Costco which is a lot of savings. With all these facts, I'm gonna stick with the generic, bc it did what it did in the first place, and stabilized my hair, and it cost me less than $10 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    2) I know that pharmacies won't always give you the same brand, they sometimes switch brands. Where do I find a stable source of proscar? Internet? (I live in Holland btw, that might matter with shipping) A pharmacy is probably not an option for a stable source right?
    Hi,
    I take generic finasteride. At the beginning I also had some issues regarding the manufacturer. But then, I've changed the supplier and now, I get my pills from the same manufacturer each time, without any problems. I buy my fin from selectmeds. net. I've contacted them directly and asked to ship me the meds produced by the certain company.
    Contact the pharmacy support before you place any order.

Quote Originally Posted by RanDave View Post
    I've contacted them directly and asked to ship me the meds produced by the certain company.
    Contact the pharmacy support before you place any order.
    I also contact the support team before placing my order, to agree about the same brand (manufacturer company). I like Cipla's products and always order only this brand.

I have used both generic and propecia......

Noticed zero difference..!

Check my threads on this topic. I shed half my head of hair on generic. In January of this year I thought I had no hope. I switched back to propecia and I'm almost back to full density.

Generic fin gave me a six month shed that never improved. When I switched back to brand name propecia I continued to shed for 2 months and then everything came back.

This is my second time switching and I'm positive generic fin is garbage for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VegetaDBZ View Post
    I have used both generic and propecia......

Noticed zero difference..!
    Have you had any positive results?

I've tried both (propecia and generic finasteride) and haven't noticed a difference. Finasteride takes at least few months for results, so you might just need to wait longer.