+ Reply to Thread

Default adding saw palmetto to my regime. let me know.

So I've been on fin for 1 year and a half (no breaks), I've also been on 5% minoxidol since October, I've also been dermal rolling my scalp once a week for 3 months, biotin daily (for 2 months)and I take vitamin d3 daily 5000 IUs.
    I also take a multivitamin and omega3 for body building to keep my body in the best shape possible.
    Recently I've added zinc, glucosamine MSM and BCAA for body building as well.

So I've decided to add saw palmetto to this regime to further reduce DHT. I've read that 320 mg is the optimum dosage.
    Any of you guys have any input on this? Good, bad, whatever. Let's hear it

I personally wouldn't waste my time with it.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    It has been shown to be a very strong medication. In fact, back in the day we use to have to memorize the side effects in medical school since it was so common and so bad. I suggest you proceed with caution.
    Hey Doc. Just curious as to some of the specifics of these side effects? I've been taking SP for several months now under the impression that if it's natural, it's safe (as a general rule). My GP said it would help my prostate and as it's regularly recommended as one of the top supplements/vitamins to take for Men's Health, I just figured that "It couldn't hurt". Is this information not accurate in your opinion?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD View Post
    Natural = safe is an interesting rule but its good to remember poison ivy and the venom of snakes/spiders are also natural as are the sources of most addictive/destructive herbs like cocaine (its basically a purified leaf).
    Touche. Thanks for the explanation. You always give very sound, practical advice in these forums, which is very much appreciated.

Saw palmetto has been used for ages to reverse hair loss. But I am more glad as you are using it under the guidance of your GP. Saw palmetto, though natural, has a capacity to thin the blood and may cause excessive bleeding during surgery. Though it’s very very rare, it’s always good to inform your doctor what supplements you’re taking. Hope you start getting the benefit out of it soon

I've read that fin only reduces DHT by 70% and only 1 one of the types of 5AR. I'm hoping saw palmetto will reduce a further percentage of DHT (but I obviously don't know how much). And I've read that saw palmetto acts on both types of 5AR.

I wouldnt count on saw palmetto stopping your hair loss but you might have sides on it. If your on fin than thats really more important. I have seen many conflicting things on saw palmetto some say it works, others say its much too weak for results for hair. Who really knows is the question.
    IMO the very frontal hairline and temples need something that competes or inhibits T and stops more DHT than 70 of fin to really stop MPB. Fin alone cant stop it long term over decades especially the very frontal hairline. RU would have been perfect but I feel its too dangerous to experiment with still