+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Veteran losing ground, needs advice

Hi everyone,

I have been actively fighting hair loss since I was about 19. I'm 26 now. I have been on Fin for about 5 years, Minox for 4. I am about a NW 2 - 2.5 and have maintained quite well. However, I do notice that I am losing some ground now and some of my forelock is thinning a bit more. I am looking for something to add that might help stop this thinning and thickening it up before it gets any worse. I've tried S5 cream and Folligen spray but I didn't feel like these did anything.

I gave RU a try but I got pretty bad sides and stopped after a week. I didn't get sides with anything else so I realize immediately.

Right now I am kind of at a loss as to how to best proceed. I've been thinking to either 1) give Neogenic by L'Oreal a try 2) switch to DUT instead of FIN or 3) up my FIN dosage. The only other thing I can think of besides these is to potentially just stay with this regimen and possibly consider a HT down the line if it continues progressing.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks everyone

do not buy dercos Neogenic it's a expensive garbage
    you should try ketoconazole shampoo and maybe up your fina a bit and see
    but you shouldn't forget that there is not treatment that stop hair loss if it was the case no one will have HT

Quote Originally Posted by nyhair25 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been actively fighting hair loss since I was about 19. I'm 26 now. I have been on Fin for about 5 years, Minox for 4. I am about a NW 2 - 2.5 and have maintained quite well. However, I do notice that I am losing some ground now and some of my forelock is thinning a bit more. I am looking for something to add that might help stop this thinning and thickening it up before it gets any worse. I've tried S5 cream and Folligen spray but I didn't feel like these did anything.

I gave RU a try but I got pretty bad sides and stopped after a week. I didn't get sides with anything else so I realize immediately.

Right now I am kind of at a loss as to how to best proceed. I've been thinking to either 1) give Neogenic by L'Oreal a try 2) switch to DUT instead of FIN or 3) up my FIN dosage. The only other thing I can think of besides these is to potentially just stay with this regimen and possibly consider a HT down the line if it continues progressing.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks everyone
    i started losing ground on fin after many years so i slowly... very slowly switched to dut. i'm coming up to 2 years on dut and it's the best decision i've made. its a very slow process and i've had my share of sheds but dut totally works better than fin... or works when fin stops working.

i upped my dose of fin up to 2.5mg per day and it wasn't helping so dut was the next step. i just replaced 1 fin pill for dut.. once per week for a month.. then slowly from there.

It seems like switching to Dutasteride would be your best choice since it does inhibit many times more Type II 5-AR enzyme than Finasteride. It's near impossible to lose hair on Avodart.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah DUT definitely seems like the next logical step. However, I don't yet think it is needed. I kind of want to have it for use later down the line in case things start to progress even worse. Right now the ground I am losing is very minimal and think jumping on DUT at this moment might be an overkill. I would ideally like to try some other options before getting on DUT. Or maybe this is a bad idea? Not sure.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

What kind of sides did you get on RU?

Regarding what to do, I think option 1 (neogenic) is kind of pointless. Some people are pretty positive about neogenic but it's really expensive and I believe it's not that great either. It's a good addition to your regime but I doubt it's going to do that much and for that price, the results simply aren't worth it.

Upping your fin dosage is also not very likely to yield result as fin has a flat dose response, meaning that above a certain dose its effectiveness won't go up that much anymore. So increasing your dosage will have an extra effect but probably not a very big one. However, it could be just enough for your situation.

I understand you want to keep dut as a last resort option but I think it's a good idea to start with dut. Remember, you don't have to switch over to dut completely. Maybe keep your current regime but switch one day of fin for dut or something like that. That way you can still up your regime by taking dut on more days of the week or by completely switching over on dut.

It's probably a good idea to go to a hair clinic and discuss the possibilities of fin and dut with a hair doctor and what your next step should be. While you're there, you can also ask them about a possible HT down the line.

EDIT: regarding fin and flat dose response, I found an interesting article about flat dose responses in general: http://journals.lww.com/practicalpsy...what_do.6.aspx

Have only scanned it quickly, but here's what I took away from the story:

The focus of clinicians is their individual patient, while the focus of pharmaceutical companies and the FDA is populations of patients (i.e., the average patient). A flat dose-response curve means that the response is not better on average in patients on higher than the minimally effective dose. However, that finding does not mean that a specific patient will not benefit from a dose escalation.
    It probably depends on the kind of medicine as well though, so I have no idea if this is relevant. Anyway, if this is applicable it could mean that you might benefit from a higher dose of fin because the response varies from person to person. However, there are a lot of what-if's to this so take it with a big grain of salt.

If not dut you probably gotta get experimental RU,CB... that kind of thing which unfortunately has no reliable suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Agustin Araujo View Post
    It seems like switching to Dutasteride would be your best choice since it does inhibit many times more Type II 5-AR enzyme than Finasteride. It's near impossible to lose hair on Avodart.
    Its still possible to lose hair on Dut if your hair is super sensitive to androgens. Again T and other forms of androgens still seem likely to have an affect on hair long term. No sure bet removing DHT stops MPB completely. Now if something like RU existed and you could use that plus dut you might win the war. You have to do something about T IMO long term to win if your hair is super sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by jjo View Post
    i started losing ground on fin after many years so i slowly... very slowly switched to dut. i'm coming up to 2 years on dut and it's the best decision i've made. its a very slow process and i've had my share of sheds but dut totally works better than fin... or works when fin stops working.

i upped my dose of fin up to 2.5mg per day and it wasn't helping so dut was the next step. i just replaced 1 fin pill for dut.. once per week for a month.. then slowly from there.
    JJo, How did you work up with the dosage for dut? Did you go from gradually increase the number of dut pills you took each week? I am thinking that doing something like that would be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    What kind of sides did you get on RU?
    I was getting dizziness, chest pains, and chest tightness. It was a rather bizarre feeling and I never experienced any kinds of sides before so it hit me almost instantly. My first application was fine. Then I noticed the same things with the second, third, fourth, fifth. So I decided to stop. I was using it in a minox vehicle. I have also heard that it may be because I was using it with fin? I have heard that it is powerful enough on its own and using it with fin is somewhat excessive.