+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Don't listen to all the horror stories. The perma side effects you hear about are EXTREMELY RARE. Less than 2 percent. I was in the same boat as you when I got a finasteride prescription. The Dr that gave me mine is a hair surgeon and I asked him. He said he has had hundreds of patients on the drug and he only had to take 2 pass4sure 200-120 brain dumps
    of them off of it. One for unrelated liver issues so he couldnt take any meds. And the second because of side effects. He halfed the dosage of that patient and the side effects went away.

Yeah fin is one of the safest drugs out there honestly. We all know there is no such thing as a safe drug and never will be. Fin though has been in real world use by lots of guys for something like 30 years now for prostate and hair issues. If guys on it for 30 years are still fine than I mean how much safer can it be? Anyone starting now probably wont be on it for anymore than 5 years before other crap CB... comes out. Your just buying some time for better stuff yout wont be on it for life.
    I saw a derm like 5 years ago who had tons of guys on it and said it was super safe. No reason to doubt it really.

Hey man, I was terrified just like you, but decided to start off slow, with 1 mg every other day and carefully monitor any side effects. I am a former scientist, so I am very, very analytical and make sure to keep my mind in check while going through this, so I don't psych myself out. It's been exactly one month and listed below are my personal physiological changes since starting.

1) slightly decreased libido - which I am actually enjoying. Mine was way too high to begin with.
    2) Increased strength of erections during sex with my girlfriend - don't know why, but I love it
    3) watery semen
    4) clear, firmer skin - I look like I am 3 years younger, and have had multiple comments on this. Once again, don't know specifically why.
    5) increased mood - this may be only psychological. Knowing that I am now doing all I can to prevent hairless and regrow what I have lost in the past year gives me a good feeling.
    6) Increased athletic endurance and focus - Another side effect that seems contrary of what to expect, but I love it. Once again, could be psychological.

My theory is: START SLOW, give the body time to acclimate and closely monitor yourself (realistically though, don't psych yourself out) and guess what? Your penis does NOT immediately fall off! haha

It's good to be aware of the side effects, i personally had a terrible reaction to propecia and would never take it again. But like the other guys on here some have had no issues at all. I would consider testing your DHT and Testosterone if you choose to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by warner8 View Post
    I am getting sick of these threads about being "terrified of fin"
    Just try it, if you don't have sides, awesome, if you do, stop taking or decrease the dosage. But whining about whether to not to take it gets you and your hairloss NO WHERE.
    Threads like this are part of the reason why there is such wide spread fear of fin.

i mean in the end they have a choice, keep your virility or keep your hair. the lucky few keep both.

Your just battling time trying to buy a few more years. In another 5 years MPB will be easier to treat and probably much less risky. Its just that awkward inbetween time still where propecia is still the only real option but new things are getting near for maintance and actually a few different ones in case one or two fail.

i don't think it will be any better in 5 years tbh, if nothing major has happened by now i doubt in 5 years there will be a true breakout product, just more snake oil products to make us reach for our wallets. and by then, we would have lost too much hair to have regrowth

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Your just battling time trying to buy a few more years. In another 5 years MPB will be easier to treat and probably much less risky. Its just that awkward inbetween time still where propecia is still the only real option but new things are getting near for maintance and actually a few different ones in case one or two fail.

I have been on finasteride for about 3 years and never had any side effects. Nothing. What's strange is I took saw palmetto for a while before and I did notice a much lower libido. Once I got off SP I was fine.

I'd had to say. No need to be terrified but BE CONSCIOUS those are not stories someone made. Even with 2% you have to be prepared to accept you might be part of that tiny percentage.

People telling you that They were worried about but nothing happened are just the 98% and so They are happy. Is something like when you're a smoker, well, you maybe you're going to be ok for your entire life, but there's a risk and you have to consider it.

So I say, don't be afraid, just know it's possible. I was on it for six months and I'm telling you, the side effects are real. I suffered them and had to quit taking it. But yes, you have to fight man. I suffered from the sides for the next 19 months and after that I took the risk again but with the approach Spex posted here in another thread. Now I'n on the pill since 2 years and no side effects whatsoever.