+ Reply to Thread

Default How bad is it? Start propecia now? 23y/o

http://imgur.com/a/hjttC

I'm 23. Both grandfathers were bald. My father has a full head of hair at 49.

I feel like my hairline is worsened over the past couple of years; I'm particularity concerned about an area I circled. I know my hairloss isn't horrible at this point, but I'd really like to stop the in it's tracks. My physician says my blood tests are fine, but he seems hesitant to prescribe it and asked me how much it's really bothering me. What are your thoughts? Should I get on it?

Hi,
    Looking at some of your first photos I can say that it is the beginning, however on other photos your hair looks normal.

Yeah, it looks fine as of now. But circle area is showing beginning, you can say. It’s good that your hormones are still in control. I won’t recommend starting a fin, but may be using natural hair thickening would be more preferable. If it is genetic in nature, as your history says, it is harder to grow your hair leaving surgical options as your most effective treatment. But I would first give it a try to natural treatments. You can try biotin as well as B vitamins; these are known as hair vitamins too, as they nourish your hair and improve quality and quantity. Give your head regular scalp treatment with quality aromatic oils and I do hope this will make difference. At this point, I think you need more of this rather than going for minox or finasteride, since your blood test is normal. If you are not satisfied, take a second opinion.

Start fin

How early did I catch it? Will I realistically be able to keep my hair for 5+ years if I start fin now?

Quote Originally Posted by nm825 View Post
    How early did I catch it? Will I realistically be able to keep my hair for 5+ years if I start fin now?
    Yes. If fin works for you- it should stop your hair loss for a while. You are probably in the best situation to start fin / min. Just be conscious of it, maybe switch to a nir shampoo, exercise, eat well, cycle on fin for a few months and watch your progress. Your best bet is to go to a dermatologist.

Other than that - there are a few resources you can find on here to get finasteride if you doc is being a dope about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nm825 View Post
    Hey, if fin works for you, it can do wonders. You may observe initial shedding, but don't panic, it's the way this drug works. You need to be patient and consistent and it may anywhere between 3-6 months to see a difference. How long you will be able to maintain is matters individually, but majority of men find that after 5 years the medication is still working. Also important to know the future, that you will return to your previous state, within 2-6 months of discontinuation of Finasteride. If you are intend to use it for long term, best advice would be to visit a dermatologist and start with lowest possible dose. Keep a close watch on sides and report to your doctor immediately if you observe any. Good luck.

I wish I would have started propecia at 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I wish I would have started propecia at 23.
    Don't we all. But you got awesome results... Sooo...