+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Accutane and Propecia = ughhhh

This post is kind of me just venting.. but if anyone has any advice or has been through a similar thing I'd absolutely love to hear.

To start off I have a receding hairline and want nothing more than to get on Propecia. I've been to see my derm twice and she insisted it was a mature hairline and that basically just confirmed how little she really knows. I'm a solid norwood 2. (I've posted pics of my hairline on here before and everyone said I was receding and it's a norwood 2). It's so easy to tell!! I don't know how she thinks I'm not. Anyway, I'm on accutane at the moment too for acne issues (obviously). I've got to be on it for another 6 months. My derm did mention Propecia to me and told me that if I want to go on it I can.. but not yet. She didn't really explain much. Very wishy washy.

Anyway, I want to tackle this as soon as I possibly can so I went to see another doctor. She basically said she'll put me on Propecia if I want, but I should wait until I finish my course of accutane. She said she doesn't want to damage my liver. Which I understand and I'm grateful for, however I've read lots of things about people being on both at the same time? Ugh so frustrating! So now I've got to wait 6 months!! I'm currently using Nizoral shampoo and have been for about 3 weeks. If I can add propecia to that Regimen I'll be happy as larry! I'm not a fan or Rogaine simply because I can't imagine applying that day and night for the rest of my life. Popping a pill and shampooing is just so much more ideal. Not to mention I have long hair and it doesn't really get to my scalp.

Ughhh so very frustrating. ://

i would wait

Wait. But start minoxidol

Quote Originally Posted by NOhairNOlife View Post
    Wait. But start minoxidol
    okay. thanks for the advice. that was what i was originally going to do. but it's just like i said, i really feel like applying rogaine 2 times a day forever is going to be a pain. i also have long hair and it's difficult to get it to the scalp. it just kind of sits on my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by winkywoo View Post
    This post is kind of me just venting.. but if anyone has any advice or has been through a similar thing I'd absolutely love to hear.

To start off I have a receding hairline and want nothing more than to get on Propecia. I've been to see my derm twice and she insisted it was a mature hairline and that basically just confirmed how little she really knows. I'm a solid norwood 2. (I've posted pics of my hairline on here before and everyone said I was receding and it's a norwood 2). It's so easy to tell!! I don't know how she thinks I'm not. Anyway, I'm on accutane at the moment too for acne issues (obviously). I've got to be on it for another 6 months. My derm did mention Propecia to me and told me that if I want to go on it I can.. but not yet. She didn't really explain much. Very wishy washy.

Anyway, I want to tackle this as soon as I possibly can so I went to see another doctor. She basically said she'll put me on Propecia if I want, but I should wait until I finish my course of accutane. She said she doesn't want to damage my liver. Which I understand and I'm grateful for, however I've read lots of things about people being on both at the same time? Ugh so frustrating! So now I've got to wait 6 months!! I'm currently using Nizoral shampoo and have been for about 3 weeks. If I can add propecia to that Regimen I'll be happy as larry! I'm not a fan or Rogaine simply because I can't imagine applying that day and night for the rest of my life. Popping a pill and shampooing is just so much more ideal. Not to mention I have long hair and it doesn't really get to my scalp.

Ughhh so very frustrating. ://
    I read accutane is one of the most dangerous drugs ever. Why not try proactive and change your diet to fresh raw foods???

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    I read accutane is one of the most dangerous drugs ever. Why not try proactive and change your diet to fresh raw foods???
    The accutane is fine. I've been on it for two months and haven't experienced anything. My diet is clean eating and has been for about a year now. I follow the Paleo diet. I also workout. I've also tried Proactive. Trust me I've done everything I possibly can for my acne! Thank you for your advice though!

okay. thanks for the advice. that was what i was originally going to do. but it's just like i said, i really feel like applying rogaine 2 times a day forever is going to be a pain. i also have long hair and it's difficult to get it to the scalp. it just kind of sits on my hair.
    Don't use the foam. And part your hair and rub it in. You don't have to apply twice a day. I apply 2ml once a day. At night about an hour before going to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by NOhairNOlife View Post
    Don't use the foam. And part your hair and rub it in. You don't have to apply twice a day. I apply 2ml once a day. At night about an hour before going to bed.
    Cool. That sounds more do-able. How have your results been with just applying once a day?

Cool. That sounds more do-able. How have your results been with just applying once a day?
    It's one of those things that it seems to have regrown a little bit, but I'm not sure if that's just in my head or it actually did, I've only been on it for 4 months. I'm going to give it a full year.
    I also use finesteride and I derma-roll once a week.

Winky I took a look at the photos of your hair and you seem to have quite a few miniaturised hairs in your hair line, so I'd say it's worth giving minoxidil a shot. I'd say with it you have a decent shot at giving your hair line some more thickness and possibly turning some miniaturised hairs into strong(er) hairs.

Also I agree with NOhair, if you find applying minox twice a day too much of a hassle then you should go with once a day before bedtime. I do the same. Too early to tell if I actually have any results though.

BTW I've been on accutane as a kid as well, for about half a year I believe. It worked great for me, my back an chest became almost acne-free and it cleaned up my face and jaw/chin a ton as well. How are your results?