+ Reply to Thread

Default I'm wondering why anxiety and alcohol mixed with minoxidil cause weight gain ?

I'm wondering why anxiety and alcohol mixed with minoxidil cause weight gain ?

Why do McDonald's, video games and car air fresheners cause weight gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Aonyx262 View Post
    Why do McDonald's, video games and car air fresheners cause weight gain?
    Smartass I'm talking about water retention with minoxidil because of alcholo

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    I'm wondering why anxiety and alcohol mixed with minoxidil cause weight gain ?
    Well actually, there might be some form of synergy going on there because:

1. One of the known side effects of Minoxidil is weight gain.

2. Anxiety can cause weight gain because when you are anxious your cortisol levels rise and this can put your body into a weight storing mode.

3. Alcohol is processed by your liver, and it is metabolised just the same way sugar is. Thus, alcohol consumption can also cause weight gain.

That's my take on it, but this does not mean that other factors have not lead or contributed to weight gain, such us unhealthy eating or a lack of exercise.......

Quote Originally Posted by epipapilla View Post

2. Anxiety can cause weight gain because when you are anxious your cortisol levels rise and this can put your body into a weight storing mode.

3. Alcohol is processed by your liver, and it is metabolised just the same way sugar is. Thus, alcohol consumption can also cause weight gain.

That's my take on it, but this does not mean that other factors have not lead or contributed to weight gain, such us unhealthy eating or a lack of exercise.......
    I say this because I used minoxidil when my anxiety was non existent for several years , and recently my anxiety got worse and i was bindge drinking , but I noticed when I would out minoxidil on I would get bloated for several days stomach and face!

Quote Originally Posted by epipapilla View Post

Absolutely agree. And I'd like to add that the link between anxiety and weight gain is very complex. As epipapilla mentioned, cortisol, that is released during stress or anxiety causes fat to build up around the midsection. Moreover peoople with anxiety are prone to eat more. So called stress eating. Anxious people are inactive, that is another cause of weight gain.

As about the alcohol, so it is high in calories and also may cause you to eat more after its consumption.

If talking about water retention due to Minoxidil, so yes, it is also one of the drug side effects. Minoxidil is a peripheral vasodilator that reduces blood pressure, and inhibits renal homeostatic mechanisms causing the increase of renin secretion that leads to increased heart rate and output and salt and water retention. In such cases you need to take a diuretic and a beta-adrenergic blocking agent. I think this issue is better to discuss with a cardiologist. Let him know that you are on Minoxidil.

Quote Originally Posted by RanDave View Post
    Absolutely agree. And I'd like to add that the link between anxiety and weight gain is very complex. As epipapilla mentioned, cortisol, that is released during stress or anxiety causes fat to build up around the midsection. Moreover peoople with anxiety are prone to eat more. So called stress eating. Anxious people are inactive, that is another cause of weight gain.

As about the alcohol, so it is high in calories and also may cause you to eat more after its consumption.

If talking about water retention due to Minoxidil, so yes, it is also one of the drug side effects. Minoxidil is a peripheral vasodilator that reduces blood pressure, and inhibits renal homeostatic mechanisms causing the increase of renin secretion that leads to increased heart rate and output and salt and water retention. In such cases you need to take a diuretic and a beta-adrenergic blocking agent. I think this issue is better to discuss with a cardiologist. Let him know that you are on Minoxidil.
    It's all good been on minoxidil for years quit drinking and on a good anxiety medication now that's working

I'm glad to hear that!