+ Reply to Thread

Default Continue Nizoral or stop? Need second opinion

Hi guys. I have a receding hairline with thinning at the front and desperately want to get on propecia. Unfortunately my dermatologist and doctors are making me jump through hoops to get on it. I'm really, really hoping to get on it asap as I want to nip this in the bud quickly. I didn't just want to wait so I decided to begin doing something about it and started using Nizoral 2%. I know this isn't the best thing and Rogaine would maybe be a better bet, but I seriously can't imagine myself applying that every morning and night. Popping a pill and shampooing just seems so much more convenient, so that's what I've decided to go for.

I've used Nizoral only twice now and it has for sure made my hair thicker. However, today when I was running my hands through my hair I ended up with a bit more hair on my hands than usual and it's slightly concerning. I'm not sure if this is the "initial shed" happening or if it's making my hair worse as I have read a few horror stories about Nizoral ruining people's hair. Another thing that concerns me, is I am currently taking accutane which has not caused any hair loss issues for me but it has dried my hair out. Nizoral dries the hair out too apparently. Could I be drying my hair out too much? I just don't want to sit by while I wait for a doc to put me on propecia.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Stupid question but are you sure? I mean Nizoral wouldn't make your hair THICKER after 2 uses, that's impossible. It definitely dries it out or something, but you might be looking so closely you're noticing something that's not there. Is it 1% Nizoral or 2%?

Remember to only use it once every few days. I would stick with it for now, maybe comb your hair to get a better measurement of hair shed so you know it's not your imagination.

IMO any shampoo is nice to have because its cheap and makes you feel better because your doing something, but its not going to change your long term outcome at all. So my opinion is it doesnt matter much either way and hair counts just correlate more to your case of MPB than what shampoo you use or what you ate yesterday.
    I think the situation today is pretty simple actually take propecia for a chance at keeping your hair given the risks it has, or just accept hair loss for now.