+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nigguh View Post
    Hey there, I just posted the pics of my current hairline (pics were taken about 5mins ago). I'm an individual that's about 18years old, Please tell me, Am I gonna be bald soon? And no need to 'sugarcoat' it if that's the case (I've seen how nice the people are here but a logical and truthfully laid out comment would be the best for me right now). I am freaking out these days about it, to be honest, so if you've got time, then please tell me, Am I a victim of MPB too? Thank you for your time guys. Please, help a fellow victim out.

About my family side:

Dad's side:
    My dad lost most of his age till he was 28, I believe.
    Most of brothers have a u-shaped hairline
    And my grandfather was bald too (don't know when he became bald)

Mom's side:
    Grandfather: My mom's father had a full head of hair until he was dead. I don't know if he had a u-shape hairline like mine, since he was dead before I was born
    My first and third uncle had full head of hair while my second uncle's head has gone bald around the age of 55

My brother is bald at the age of 27

So yes, please tell me the condition of my hairline, as you think it is. Thank you yet again.
    Its really hard for anyone to answer this. baldness depends on many genes and combinations of genes, so really anything is possible. considering your family history though id say you're probably gonna lose your hair at some point, especially since you're showing signs at 18. however, i know people who developed a u shaped hairline in their teens and kept it like that until they died. you can go to a HT doctor and have them tell you if you have miniaturization anywhere other than the temples. if you don't then you should hold off on potentially dangerous drugs. Look at Jon Hamm from mad men, he has no hair in the temples and his dad was totally bald, but he has a great head of hair otherwise. My guess unfortunately, since you have bald guys all over your family tree, is that you probably won't get yo your 40s with a complete head of hair. but most guys don't. whether you will have a full head in your twenties really who knows, you could be like your brother or have slightly different genetics and not lose it until much later. I would stay off the treatments until a doctor tells you where you are thinning, and then when you have confirmation that you're losing it anywhere other than the temples, consider your options wisely. in my opinion finasteride is poison, and minoxidil gave me a terrible itch that still hasn't gone away even after a year of stopping. i think it resets hair cycles and can do some damage if you don't actually need it yet.

also just because someone on here lost their temples at 18 and then was bald in 5 years does not mean you will be the same. lots of guys go bald very slowly, id say the forum posters who have aggressive balding are more an exception than a rule. my uncles had a totally bald dad, and they started balding in their early 30's. they are in their late 50s and are still not totally bald but getting there. Most men go bald at some point, and hopefully you will still be very young when new treatment come out in the next few years. there are some things in the pipeline that have real possibility. I wouldn't go messing about with your hormones just yet. if you're gonna use something use minox or adenogen, i know a lot of guys who stopped losing hair for several years on minox, and that may be enough to tide you over for some better treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    also just because someone on here lost their temples at 18 and then was bald in 5 years does not mean you will be the same. lots of guys go bald very slowly, id say the forum posters who have aggressive balding are more an exception than a rule. my uncles had a totally bald dad, and they started balding in their early 30's. they are in their late 50s and are still not totally bald but getting there. Most men go bald at some point, and hopefully you will still be very young when new treatment come out in the next few years. there are some things in the pipeline that have real possibility. I wouldn't go messing about with your hormones just yet. if you're gonna use something use minox or adenogen, i know a lot of guys who stopped losing hair for several years on minox, and that may be enough to tide you over for some better treatments.
    +1. Messing with your hormones is not the answer. It's what happens after the predisposed androgen receptors set off the cascade of events that lead to AGA over time that need to be focused on, and are being focused on. Good things are down the road for halting hair loss, with the potential of even reversing it. How long it will take is the question.

The only answer to this question is - take finasteride, and you will be fine, baldness is a choice. Just ignore the "fin is poison" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    baldness is a choice.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    The only answer to this question is - take finasteride, and you will be fine, baldness is a choice. Just ignore the "fin is poison" crowd.
    I've been to three dermatologists who have said that they do not prescribe finasteride because they know it is dangerous. there is no discussion to be had. Yes, a lot people can use it without FEELING anything, but bottom line it is halting the production of an enzyme that has many positive actions. HT docs push this drug because their livelihoods depend on it, and desperate balding young guys take it and ignore the way it makes their bodies feel and change. Best case scenario is you don't feel side effects, and then when you get off the drug a few years down the line you will either be messed up from it or finally understand how different and vigorous your cody could have been if you didn't take it. If you're going to try an AA, at least try RU, as it is non steroidal and has much less potential for lasting side effects.

18 though is way too young to **** with your hormones. If you wan to take that risk wait tip you at least know that you're really losing your hair. I did not really develop into a mans full physicality until my mid twenties, your body has much growing and changing to do still. Take my advice and go to a hair doctor and see if you are even losing hair anywhere except the temples, which most guys lose. I can name hundreds of men who lost their temples in their young age and stopped there. If you indeed have miniaturization/shedding/etc then use minox first and see how long that tides you over. chances are you won't even begin thinning in most areas until you are 3 or four years further down the road, and by then there will likely be better drugs. don't listen to the older guys on here who have been around forever. they do not understand that hair loss science has essentially just started in the past few years, and that future breakthroughs do not correlate to past frustrations. Medicine in general was in a stagnating state for a long time, but that is no longer the case. They just cured alopecia areata and more recently psoriasis, and mpb is a bit more complex, but the individual pathways downstream fro the androgen receptor are just started to be targeted.

most of all enjoy your youth, you have hair now and look normal, and you will never get these years back. im pretty sure my own hair is improving, or at least maintaining on adenogen twice a day, and then zyrtec mixed with water and applied topically at night, and have zero side effects besides some persistent itching which i think started from using minoxidil a year ago or so. I think combinations of new treatments will definitely make finasteride unnecessary in the next couple of years. The PGD2 science is not horseshit as some members would have you believe, and will help you not lose more hair. between SM, bimatoprost, follicept, and CB, we are looking at something probably working out to promote growth. and if you are 18 you are quite lucky, a preventative cure is probably within grasp while you're still VERY young. so don't fret too much. let your dermatologist counsel you and take very great care with drugs that have serious risks.

I thought I would chime in seeing as I was in a similar situation. I started receeding when I was 17/18 and I'm now 26 and a NW 3, my crown is still very good but my hairline is terrible. I've only been on fin for about 18 months as I waited 2 years before starting it because I was scared of sides. I really regret that decision as I'm sure my hairline would be a lot better now if I had started it straight away. I do get sides from fin, I only take 0.3mgs a day as that's the most I can go before it gets too bad. I don't have any problems with libido at this dosage I get erections when I want them I just don't get morning erections anymore. I understand what people are saying about possible sides but the chances of you getting permanent sides if you started fin and realised it wasn't good for you are very slim. My advice would be to start out on very small doses and then work your way up and if you are getting bad sides then either lower the dosage or stop completely.

18 is not too young to be *****ing with your hormones. You're right that finasteride may cause sexual sides, guess what, so does balding!

People are bitter because they can't use the treatments, because they are unlucky to get side effects. That's why they will write it off. They can't be objective about it. Yes, there is a chance that you will get side effects that's true, but that's the reality right now. Just know that you can stop your balding process, it is your decision to make if you want to do that.

'A ship is always safe at the shore - but that is NOT what it is built for.'
    So you basically have a decision to make, if you don't go on treatments that's fine your choice. However do know that if you suffer from androgenetic alopecia it will progress and retrieving your hair is virtually impossible. Every second counts. If you do go on treatments you have extremely good odds of stopping your hairloss and retaining your hair. If you are lucky you might even get some regrowth with it. I think this study is a good review about finasteride perhaps it will help you in making an informed decision;

Media reports, Internet sites and misinformation by alternative medicine practitioners recently contributed to a negative image associated with finasteride, leading to apprehension and concern among patients taking the medication. Frequently, even dermatologists seem to be hesitant to prescribe the drug for long periods, mistakenly fearing the occurrence of long-term side effects. Finasteride, either alone or in combination with topical minoxidil, is an excellent option for men with androgenetic alopecia, reducing hair loss, and/or restoring hair growth in 9 of 10 patients. The drug can be taken at any time of the day, with or without food. There are no reports of significant drug interactions or allergies. Because it is metabolized in the liver, the drug should be used with caution in patients with liver diseases, but there is no need to indicate liver function tests frequently yet.
    Full one; http://www.synergypublishers.com/jms...e/view/701/347. You have an excellent overview there about the drug. Good luck! Btw would be nice if you can upload a picture, sometimes people do imagine they suffer from balding problems .

Great paper! It’s nice to see some real science on here for a change. Taking Propecia was one of the best life decisions I ever made. You have two choices right now, either treat your hair loss with what we know has a chance to work or come to terms with losing your hair, and there is nothing wrong with just letting nature take its course. I was not to ready to lose my hair at a young age so I chose to take the medication. I’m so glad that at the time this mass hysteria did not exist when I did my research because it would have made my decision to help myself more difficult.

Here’s my story that I posted several years ago.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showth...ight=#post1392