+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question If Dutasteride eliminates all DHT, why does hairloss continue?

I've been on Finasteride for 18 months now, and am looking to switch to Dutasteride to get even better results. Something puzzles me however:

DHT causes DHT-vulnerable follicles to fall out, causing MPB
    5mg Finasteride suppresses 70% of DHT
    2.5mg/5mg Dutasteride suppresses pretty much all DHT

Dutasteride should be the silver bullet that permanently stops baldness. Why isn't it the case? How can hairloss continue in someone who virtually doesn't have any DHT?

Furthermore, in the experiments that were done, 2.5 Dutasteride regrew nearly 50% more hairs than 1mg Propecia. I'd think that's significant enough that Propecia would be replaced. Maybe they're waiting until the patent expires, then introduce Avodart under a new name for mpb and start milking that cow?

I can't quite wrap my head around this. Someone please enlighten me.

Blocking all your dht is quite controversial. Studies have found it can have very negative effects on your body, and mind. There are already tons of people reporting devastating side effects of propecia alone. Perhaps they are not ready for the backlash that could occur if they introduce dusateride as a hairloss treatment.

I myself am on Propecia with very good results, but I am limited to .2mg a day because of sides.

I am not sure why hair would still fall out on Duasteride. That is a good question.

The studies published about dutasteride do not indicate any 'devastating' side effects.

Neither have I hear of, or experienced, any devastation by Propecia.

What LASTING side effects did you experience?

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/vi...380d23c53f6926

I'm not trying to get into a debate about this. I know for myself I have experienced a lot of the sides that are mentioned on this site on higher dosages. I believe that at lower dosages the individual should be fine. I also think how badly it affects you has a lot to do with your lifestyle.

I don't know what type of permanent effects the drug will have, I haven't been on it long enough to know. Its not a black and white issue and I do believe there are a lot of varying effects of Propecia on individuals. For some, they are permanent and devastating.

I just don't think that blocking 100% of a hormone is going to be harmless.

I do find it curious that by blocking 100% of dht still does not stop hair loss in some.

I don't know the statistical significance of the 'devastation', but there's a reason these drugs require a prescription. I started Propecia under the supervision of a doctor, and I'm not one to second guess someone with medical degree.

Sorry to hear about your sides, hope they go away with time.

I'm really interested in switching to Dutasteride though, and hope someone can shed some light on my original question.

Thanks for your concern. I hope they go away with time too, so I may increase my dosage. But as of now I've had truly effective results on .2mg, with some mild sides that I am willing to live with. Of course it is important to work with a doctor while on any prescription drug.

I did not mean to hijack your thread and am actually interested in the answer myself. Also I wonder if side effects of propecia are the same as duasteride?

playsound I Would Stick to What’s Working! | Audio Response

Quote Originally Posted by [mcr] View Post
    I've been on Finasteride for 18 months now, and am looking to switch to Dutasteride to get even better results. Something puzzles me however:

DHT causes DHT-vulnerable follicles to fall out, causing MPB
    5mg Finasteride suppresses 70% of DHT
    2.5mg/5mg Dutasteride suppresses pretty much all DHT

Dutasteride should be the silver bullet that permanently stops baldness. Why isn't it the case? How can hairloss continue in someone who virtually doesn't have any DHT?

Furthermore, in the experiments that were done, 2.5 Dutasteride regrew nearly 50% more hairs than 1mg Propecia. I'd think that's significant enough that Propecia would be replaced. Maybe they're waiting until the patent expires, then introduce Avodart under a new name for mpb and start milking that cow?

I can't quite wrap my head around this. Someone please enlighten me.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Great reply Spencer...

I will testify to that, it has always been changes in my routine I thought would make things better, that ended up losing me ground. Persistence and routine are what work.

Just checked out your pics...wow u must feel like you've won the lottery...

Hey Spencer, thank you for your reply and advice! I also picked this forum because it seems to be the best out of all the hair forums out there.

You're right that I'm getting greedy and want more, this topic of hairloss being especially emotional, how can I not! Though I am pretty sober-minded usually, the irrational part of me tells me that IF ONLY I could get back to Norwood 1, I'd be more successful in business, with women, I would be able to skip all lines everywhere, use the HOV lane anytime, and bench 500 lbs. I know it's not true, but such is the human condition.

I'll take a few days to think about what I'll do. Not trying dutasteride is gonna require some god-like self-control. If I do end up trying it, best case is I'll grow more hair, and worst case, we'll have one more piece of evidence that more DHT inhibition is not necessarily better. I'll document my results here.

Also, I'd really like to fill in my temples a little bit, that's why I mentioned the HT. I browsed the albums here a little bit and saw some great work by some of the surgeons here.

Arrow

Hey g k,
    Thanks for the kind words!
    [mcr] Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck, but if it were me, I would quit while I was ahead!
    Take care,
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.