+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post If there wasn't a stigma about wearing hairpieces hairloss forums wouldn't exist

I really believe that 'Instead of finding a "cure", changing society attitudes would be a better start'. And becoming bald wouldn't be such a depressing thing. I've started a thread about that earlier but didn't get many replies.

You cant change the views of society though. Also you would always know personally that its fake and that your bald like that episode of seinfeld where george does that and elaine throws it out the window because he doesnt really have hair. Also I would imagine eventually someone else will probably find out its not real which might be more a shock than had you just stayed bald.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    You cant change the views of society though. Also you would always know personally that its fake and that your bald like that episode of seinfeld where george does that and elaine throws it out the window because he doesnt really have hair. Also I would imagine eventually someone else will probably find out its not real which might be more a shock than had you just stayed bald.
    Women wear wigs with no repercussion, in fact, if a woman is visibly balding, it is actually encouraged for her to wear a wig. No one tells women to "just shave it, sistah"

This is what I am talking about.

Mate you are obsessed with wigs and you have pretty much a full head of hair with slight recession only at the temples. Please do yourself a favour and maintain it you are not thinking rationally

Quote Originally Posted by bigentries View Post
    Women wear wigs with no repercussion, in fact, if a woman is visibly balding, it is actually encouraged for her to wear a wig. No one tells women to "just shave it, sistah"
    The fraction of women that go bald is very tiny though. Much much more common in men which might be why it bothers women even more and most women dont go completely bald its more overall thinning. So kind of apples to oranges both hair loss but way more common in men its MPB not FPB

It's certainly more common for men. But I don't know what does that have to do with the stigma

Quote Originally Posted by reasonistian View Post
    It's certainly more common for men. But I don't know what does that have to do with the stigma
    It has everything to do with the stigma. Because balding is much more common for men, the general attitude regarding balding is to just shave it (aka don't do anything against it, just let nature go its way). Why bother about it when a lot of other men go bald as well?

However, not a lot of women go bald. Therefore, if you're a women going bald, you're in a very small minority and thus you stand out.

Honestly, this is not that hard to get is it? Now maybe you're asking yourself "then why the hell do all these hairforums exist if so many men go bald and men aren't really standing out when they're balding???". Well, a lot of the posters on these forums are very young (usually in their twenties and begin thirties, some even in their teens) so we DO stand out with our balding. Agreed, there are also some older men on these forums but I think those are in the minority.

Cellulite is extremely common in women and extremely rare in males.

Women are pushed to combat it, if a man complains about his cellulite, he is told to man up.

Acceptance of wig wearing in females has nothing to do with them standing out. It has to do with women being actively encouraged and sometimes forced to conform to the standards of beauty accepted during a period in time.

A guy that cares about his appearance is accused of being effeminate and insecure.

Quote Originally Posted by bigentries View Post
    Acceptance of wig wearing in females has nothing to do with them standing out..
    Maybe I'm biased then, but almost everytime I brought up balding as it being a problem for me, I got told to just accept it because a lot of men go bald and it's perfectly normal for men to go bald.

I partly agree with the fact that guys who care about their appearance are being seen as effeminate and insecure, though times are changing. I don't know how old you are, but there are probably some (or at least 1) generation(s) between us and I can tell you it's not effeminate nor insecure anymore for younger guys to care about their appearance nowadays. I guess it also depends a bit on where you live.