+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default hair loss at 16 affecting my career

i am 16 year old, studying in grade 11 and for around two years i am suffering from male pattern baldness, it has totally affected my self esteem, i am not able to concentrate on my studying well due to it, my performance has got down so much, I am preparing for entrances to iit(indian institute of technology) and it is considered to be one of the most difficult examinations in the world,hair loss has affected my preparation too,it is anually given by 1.5 million students every year,Please someone help me to cope up with me, when i try to concenterate,image of me being as bald in 20s come and when trying to focus on studying my mind wanders to the thinning hairs(temples and vertex),i am feeling suicidal, the girl i cared for me stopped talking me due to my failure lately,i have always been one of the best student in the school but now the situation has transformed totally,please help!

How is the history of hair loss in your family?

Currently there is no cure for hair loss.

The treatments are propecia/finasteride which inhibits/blocks your testosterone from converting into dihydrotestosterone(DHT) which has been strongly linked with male pattern baldness.
    However, this drug is quite expensive and it does often go with very strong side effects: Loss in libido, loss in penile sensitivity and erectile dysfunction. These can be irreversible; If you go off the drug, the side effects will persist.

This drug is often used together with minoxidil which seems to have a temporarily effect for ~2-3 years. Then you lose quicker. It irritates the skin: Scratchy, easily sunburned, dries out which can cause wrinkles.

Other than that there is hair transplants. These are expensive and rely on good donor area. It won't stop hair loss, it will just move what you have to a different place.

That's pretty much the current options, perhaps you should see a psychiatrist or something? Best of luck to you, hope you will figure out how to solve your problems.

The poster above me is wrong, finasteride side effects are uncommon, and with the advent of generics, it's very cheap. I would consider going on the drug, it will keep your hair for w long time.

If you're in India, the drug is sold under the names Finpecia and a Fincar, made by Cipla.

Hello Aman, welcome to the forum!

I never refer to other members post in a negative way but Trenblastoise comment is extremely negative and an unnecessary advice to a young fella facing hair loss

First thing first...have you been able to contact a doctor? It's important to do so and make sure you have MPB. It looks to me like you are under a great deal of stress due to your academic test and in some cases that can be causing hair loss.

If in fact you have MPB, there are still a few options for you my friend. I personally used propecia for 10 years when I was in my twenties and it was fine

It's also irresponsible for me to say that there are no risk associated with Propecia (fin) but your doctor should be able to tell you if it's right for you.

As for minoxidil (another drug available) I have been using it for many years with no sides what so ever as this one is fairly save, not as efficient as fin but it definitely helps.

Finally my friend, stay optimistic, I know how hard this is, but you have reasons to try.
    It look like you are a clever guy with a promising career in front of you and hair loss cannont take control over that. You do have options and also lets not forget there are many ongoing researchs looking for a better a safer option for hair loss and chances are you will be able to use them before you loss your hair

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi Aman825 and welcome to this forum!
    You are at the right place to get good advice.

KO1 and Efedrez are both very CORRECT. Their advice given to you is very good.
    You must see your doctor about Finasteride. Also, Finasteride side-effects ARE uncommon as KO1 has said.
    Aman' I have been on Finasteride (generic) for 19 months now.
    NO terrible side-effects from it and it IS improving my hair overall.

You can check out my thread on this..'Artista and Finasteride' .
    My doctor has prescribed over 100 of his patients on Fin' NONE of them have had any bad side-effects from it.

Just bare in mind that this guy is only 16. I would wait a few years before considering fin.

I've been on fin for 18months. Side effects were difficult in the first few months. I lowered my dosage and carried on and now the sides are much better. Not sure if that is because I lowered the dose or because I carried on with the treatment (body/mind adapted) or a combination of both. Be aware that it's not a Miracle drug but it is definitely effective at slowing for hair loss down.

Oh my! I overlooked the fact that he said his age was only at 16 years old!
    Thanks Dimoxynil!!!

At that age NO ONE should be on any type of medications like that for hair loss.

Aman' please respond here. You had mentioned this "...i am feeling suicidal..."

I want to have a dialog with you.. especially if you are being honest here about what you said!

I am concerned!

I disagree about being too young, he's old enough to be balding, he's old enough to be suicidal about balding, I think he's old enough to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    I disagree about being too young, he's old enough to be balding, he's old enough to be suicidal about balding, I think he's old enough to take the risk.
    Perhaps. But perhaps with the right support he could become emotionally more stable and wait a few years later when hormone suppressants are safer. In any case it's a risk v benefit decision

I understand your point KO1...I also agree with Dimoxynil,
    Aman' MUST become emotionally stable before embarking into any type of hair loss medication.

Aman' ,,please respond when you can buddy!!