+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I look great in the mirror but awful in pictures

Does anyone else share this problem?

I've recently started shaving my head and I have a somewhat white skin. My scalp however is really white.

Whenever I look myself in the mirror, I think I look pretty good... I work out, have a nice jawline and my head shape is not that weird. But whenever I see a picture of myself... dear God. I look like a chemo patient. It seems like all I can see in the picture is my bald head.

What can I do about this and why does this happen? How can I think I look so good in the mirror but so bad in pictures?

I have the same issue. It makes a really big difference the type of lighting in the room. Some will make your head shiny and others will create some weird shadowing that will make your head look disfigured. Play with the lighting to see what makes you look best. Have you taken a picture outside during the day under a shadow? This seems to work best with me.

In the end of the day, know that in person you are much more than a bald guy. People will not only look at your whole physical image, but your character as well. Also, we are just drawn to our bald heads when we look at our photos. Most people who know you will only glance over it.

Because it still bothers you mentally, but with photos that sort of normal. Everyone sees the worst of themselves when they look at photos. It doesn't help that the photo is 'backwards' from how you see yourself in the mirror. The weirdness of your head you have grown accustomed to seeing in the mirror is backward and "not right".

I agree with NotBelievingIt, it is all in your mind. You just haven't used to see your shaved head that attracts your attention when you see your photos. Give yourself some time and you will get used to your look.
    Possibly, at the beginning you just should leave a short buzz cut, that will not make your head look so white. A stylish beard or a three-day stubble will also draw your attention away from white head. This trick works good for many men including Jason Statham, which you've been asking about in another thread.

Just remember that how you see yourself in a mirror is not how others see you. They see you as you see yourself in a picture. That's THEIR normal. A study was done where they showed a picture of a person to someone and then reversed the image as if it were mirrored and everyone said the mirror image version was "creepy" and just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Just remember that how you see yourself in a mirror is not how others see you. They see you as you see yourself in a picture. That's THEIR normal. A study was done where they showed a picture of a person to someone and then reversed the image as if it were mirrored and everyone said the mirror image version was "creepy" and just not right.
    Interesting study, however WhiteBaldGuy has the inverse situation, he likes the way he looks in the mirror, but doesn't like his photos. By the way, I've been curious how it works and repeated the experiment. I haven't noticed any differences.

I had a mate that felt the same way, but to be honest we didn't even think about that until he mentioned it.
    He stop shaving so close to the skin and leaving a little hair more as a buffer than anything else. This did actually make his head not appear so white and he was happier with the result.

Maybe give that a go?

I've already tried leaving my hair buzzed instead of shaving (it's like that now)... it looks better sometimes and others it looks worse. In broad daylight pictures, or pictures with flash, I get that Murphy (from Robocop) appearance. It looks like my forehead is huge and that I'm much older...

I just don't know what it is about pictures. As I said... I really like myself in the mirror, but looking at my pictures can really make me depressed. I wish I could know which version of myself people see... the one I see in the mirror or the ones in those god damn photos.

Hei, WhiteBaldGuy, if it is so depressive, try not to do those photos now. It is the similar situation as with people who try to lose weight, if they weigh themselves every day, they become depressed because of poor results, however if they weigh once a week they feel much better as even small results they get are significant. Same thing here, give yourself some time and when you get used to your appearance in the mirror, the way you look on the photos will not seem so 'bad'.

Inactive

I do think that's a normal issue for people, with or without hair loss or a bald head. Often times, photos have so much to do with lighting, angles, shadows, etc. In photography, great lighting is essential to showing you at your best light. That's why celebrities always look good in professional photo shoots (aside from the hair/makeup/photoshop).

It happens to me mostly with clothes. You don't know how many times I've liked a shirt I was wearing in the mirror, but when I see pictures of myself later on, I think I look awful - and then I proceed to never wear that shirt again. One bad night of pictures in an outfit and that outfit is then dead to me.

But really.... So much of it is lighting and angles.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.