+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 21. Unsure whether I am receding, or if this is just a natural hairline.

Ok so my dad went bald very early on in his thirties, I am 21 and i am concerned I am receding / possibly thinning on the top. Gf and parents assure me I am not but I wanted to check. Please let me know what you think. If I am, I would like to try and prevent / ameliorate this as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance

I forgot to add that as far back as I can remember I have had quite an 'M' shaped hairline, but that recently I have noticed it far more. By just looking in the mirror i would classify myself as Norwood 2, which is surely bad for aged 21?

You ARE balding.

Friends/Family will always try to comfort you via lies. You know your hair best (and just by pictures I can tell you are losing it).

Get on finasteride or go bald / shave it those are your options.

Hello hentorn,

It looks like you might be moving into a mature hairline which is not that uncommon at 21.

Meaning that your hairline is changing a bit but not necessarily will move a lot more than that.

I will keep a close eye to the progress of your hairline (but not obsessing about it) and if you feel is getting worst you can consider to act on it with either fin or minox or both.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Efedrez gave you GOOD advice Hentorn !!!

Thanks for this, efedrez. So just to confirm - you are saying that moving into a 'mature hairline' is not necessarily a precursor to having a receding hairline?

Thanks again,

Hentorn

If I am balding now, should I go on finasteride immediately? How do I know that this is actual balding and not a 'mature hairline' emerging? There seems to be a difference of opinion here!
    Also, where would you say I am on the Norwood scale?

Quote Originally Posted by hentorn View Post
    If I am balding now, should I go on finasteride immediately? How do I know that this is actual balding and not a 'mature hairline' emerging? There seems to be a difference of opinion here!
    Also, where would you say I am on the Norwood scale?
    How's your family history? Do you see hairs on your scalp that are finer and thinner than regular hair? Do you find yourself unable to do hairstyles you could do a year ago?

I think finasteride is good as soon as you're legitimately balding.

My dad went bald in his early to mid thirties, which is where alot of my concern comes from. However, his dad lost his hair much later (i think around 50s, maybe even 60s?). One of my uncles is losing some of his hair now (aged late thirties) whilst the other one (similar age) has no discernible hair loss. My Granddad on my mums side (whose my hair is apparently most like, although I am not sure if that means anything r.e. genetics) didn't start to noticeably lose his hair until at least his 50s.

I can't see hairs on my scalp that are noticeably thinner / finer, and I have always really had a similar kind of hairstyle - quite long, curly and shaggy, covering forehead which is why making a comparison to how my hairline was at an earlier stage is difficult. I do feel that my hair is thinner around my crow, than other areas, but always assumed that's because of the natural way in which the hairline parts?

Can post more pics if needed. Any clarity on difference between mature hairline and MPB/receding would also be appreciated!

Thanks to everyone who has responded

Default Pictures

Here are some more pictures, of my hairline when hair wet, just for reference.