+ Reply to Thread

Default Risks associated with body (chest/stomach) hair transplant

As my donor areas are starting to get depleted, I was discussing the possibility of transplanting chest & stomach hairs (~2000 grafts) to the crown with a surgeon, to add some density to the area (understand yield limitations, but figure some growth is better than nothing).

The surgeon seems skeptical, not only due to yield risks, but also because such operations are "risky" as the chest area is sensitive and takes a lot of anesthesia to work.

If anyone has had chest hairs transplanted or has experience with this, do you understand what he means by "risky"? Is it because the area is close to the heart and the anesthetic may have adverse health consequences? My pain tolerance is pretty high, so was just wondering if there are other, health-related risks that I need to be aware of

Thanks.

Messi,

The risk that the surgeon was most likely concerned about had to do with the anesthesia. There are limitations on the amount of local anesthetic that can be used during a certain period of time. The most common ones that we use are Lidocaine and Marcaine. Both of these in the typical hair transplant procedure are not used in excess of their maximum dosages. With high does one can see neurological or cardiac changes that can be potentially dangerous if not addressed.

Having said that, we have done body hair transplant (BHT) here at Shapiro Medical Group for patients over the years, but it is typically used as a last resort. You had mentioned already that you understand that the yield from this area of the body is also very variable. (It can be less than 50% at times) Also, the quality and caliber of the body hair also plays a big part in its appropriateness for use in transplantation. I believe this is my main concern when using BHT for patients. Even if most of it does grow, it may only give a little more than a very light improvement, if any, to an area. If BHT is done though, it can be done safely and the anesthetic doses can be carefully monitored.

I typically prefer the patient to exhaust their scalp donor area first. (Sometimes with FUE, additional grafts can be gotten from the scalp). After the scalp, we will then proceed to the beard. We use the area of the beard under the chin and on the neck. Finally, after all of this, we will discuss BHT if the patient has a good and rich supply.

Thanks for the response. But i guess why is it assumed that a higher dose of anesthetic will be required for the chest hair transplant as compared to a scalp to scalp transplant? Is it because the chest donor area is larger and thus requires more anesthetic compared to the scalp donor area?

There are different opinions from different doctors. While I read Chest hair is the second best body hair “after Beard’ since is thinner than beard hair; the other clinic mentions that due to the very high risk of scarring, it does not transplant beard hairs.
    Sorry not much help, but I don’t find any site saying that chest donor area is risky for scalp hair transplantation. In fact many sites mentions, If the physiological requirements are met, follicular units can be extracted from chest, abdomen, arm and legs - and transplanted to the scalp.

Messi,

Yes, the chest is typically a larger surface area and is not as easy to anesthetize as the scalp. As you might remember from your previous transplants the scalp can be easily numbed by creating a ring of anesthesia around. With the chest this "ring block" (as it is called) is not possible. Each area that is worked on needs anesthesia. We can reduce the total amount though on the chest by diluting the anesthesia and going very slowly.

AnnaM11 is also correct about the potential risk of scarring on the chest. If someone is known to scar poorly, they may not be a good candidate. Also, where chest hair is extracted, there can be hypopigmented areas (white dots) that remain in some patients. This may be more noticeable in patients with darker pigmented skin.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJosephitis View Post
    Messi,

Yes, the chest is typically a larger surface area and is not as easy to anesthetize as the scalp. As you might remember from your previous transplants the scalp can be easily numbed by creating a ring of anesthesia around. With the chest this "ring block" (as it is called) is not possible. Each area that is worked on needs anesthesia. We can reduce the total amount though on the chest by diluting the anesthesia and going very slowly.

AnnaM11 is also correct about the potential risk of scarring on the chest. If someone is known to scar poorly, they may not be a good candidate. Also, where chest hair is extracted, there can be hypopigmented areas (white dots) that remain in some patients. This may be more noticeable in patients with darker pigmented skin.
    I would also assume that even in the best case there is a strong chance that if you ever get a tan there will be obvious white dots visible.

Thanks all for the feedback. I've already had beard hairs transplanted to the scalp, and have been left with no scarring at all. Would this be an indicator that I am unlikely to scar in the chest area as well?