View Poll Results: What do you think i should do.

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shave it off

1 33.33%
  • Use minoxidil or other medication.

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Also, finasteride works forever, it is not true that it will stop working after a few years.

Ok thanks. Should i start with 2% and as i get older go to 5? And does it work in the front?

As far as I am concerned, you don't have any hair loss and you are not going bald!

First: That big spot you see on your head is a normal hair whorl!

Second: If you start using minoxidil, then your hair will become dependent on you using minoxidil, so any hairs that minoxidil helps to regrow will also be lost once you stop using minoxidil. You will also go through major stages of significant shedding using minoxidil. Also, Minoxidil has been shown to work for a maximum of 48 months, if you are indeed a responder to it. So, using minoxidil is like only delaying the inevitable if you have male pattern baldness.

Third: It is normal for people to lose up to 100 hairs daily. My 20 year old brother loses quite a lot of hair when he baths, but his hair is a lot more fuller and thicker than mine!

Fourth: It takes months to evaluate whether a hair regrowth regime is working, not a few weeks. Therefore, I would suggest that you use your current regime for another 4 - 5 months and then re-assess your situation then.

Fifth: Finasteride is a hormone altering drug and is not something that you should take given how young you are and that your body is still developing.

Hey, I noticed I was balding when I was 16 as well, can't tell for sure when it started though. I hopped on fin and minox when I was 17. You say you've been to quite a few doctors but nothing came out of that, right? You HAVE to consult a hair clinic, not a regular doctor/dermatologist. It might surprise you, but even most dermatologist know little about MPB.

Appointments at hair clinics can be pricey though. But if you're worried about your hair, I really encourage you to do this ASAP. You might regret it otherwise. The doctors in a hair clinic can set up a plan for you, but even now you have to be aware of certain things. Some clinics just try to sell their overly expensive vitamine lotions or whatever to you, which is going to be a huge waste of your money. It comes down to only a few treatments: minoxidil, finasteride (or dutasteride, the stronger version) and nizoral. There are also hair transplants but that's of no use in your case and experimental treatments, which is up to you to decide whether you want to engage in those (not recommended by doctors obviously).

Personally I feel like it's going to be hard to find a doctor for you that will prescribe you finasteride. The scary stories about side effects are blown out of proportion so don't worry about that, but it does alter your hormonal profile which is not exactly what you want when you're 16 y/o. But if you're very worried about it, it might be worth to find a doc who prescribes fin for you. Otherwise you have to wait until you're 18, but there's a good chance you'll lose quite some ground in the meantime.

Hope that helped. But you know, you can already start with minoxidil and nizoral. The only reason to consult a hair clinic would be to get fin (and to see whether you're actually balding but considering your family history, you most likely are).

Hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    Also, finasteride works forever, it is not true that it will stop working after a few years.

Finasteride works forever but that does not mean it will combat your hair loss forever. Your follicles can become more sensitive over time so fin will most likely become less effective over time.

Forgot to mention but none of the hairs that fall have any bulbs.