+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Extremely fast receding temples at 19. Want to give up on life

So i had been noticing recently one side of my hair always seemed to look worse and i've recently realized my temples are not only receding... they have already receded.

It looks unnatural, there isn't a single other person at college who doesn't have a full temple of hair around my age... its so embarrassing and i feel like im going to drop out and just give up on life. I can't stand to be out in public anymore, always stressing about my receded hair and what not.

Im thinking about shaving my head just to assess how bad the balding is, but i don't really have the body or looks for it... i don't know what to do.

Pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg

Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	38003

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg

Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	38004

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg

Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	38005

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg

Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	38006

Don't know what i can do at this stage, i already look comical and taking drugs to prevent looking even worse for the rest of my life doesn't sound very fun. I wish i was never born.

Don't be that pessimistic. Yes hairloss might suck. You want to avoid finesteride and I thank that is a wise decision considering the side effects. I advise you against hair transplant because you'll probably progress to a norwood 6-7. If going bald bothers you much you can get a simi-permanent hair system (a modern name for a good toupee) good ones are undetectable and can only be identified by close inspection and you can sleep, swim ,workout, etc even if they got pulled up (like in a fight or such) the chance of it coming out is unlikely and you only have to commit 20 minutes every 4 weaks for maintenance (reapply adhesive and such) and good ones are affordable. You would be surprised how many celebrities wear them (George clooney (Yes I was surprised too), Ben Afflick, Chuck Norris (although sometimes he wears bad ones), even Sean Connery was bald in the First James Bond movie and wore a toupee (Although toupees had come a long way from there) and I bet many others that we don't know about. I have friends who became bald at 16 and been wearing toupees and they are clear about them if not I wouldn't have known. If you are not convinced just search on wearing one just search on youtube.

At the age of 21 my hair looked similar to u. I started finasteride then and after stabilising it my head looked noemal. However I did some mistake but now happy with results.after stabilising u will feel better.pls don't panic.

I think getting an appointment to dermatologist and starting right treatment under his guidance would be best approach to deal with this. Is hair loss is your family? If yes, you may be at a greater risk of developing same in coming years. If you start early, you may be able to control or delay further hair loss. There are many drugs available for this. However, finding out the cause for receding hairline is very important before you start taking medicines. Meanwhile you wait for an appointment, start biotin supplements and focus of stress free life, with proper nutrition.

Most hairloss, especially patterned hairloss is usually MPB, although people like to attribute it to stress. The best plan of action, the only one really, is to take finasteride.

Your hair is still looking fine and I know hair loss sucks but believe me, its better to focus on taking action rather than going crazy with the issue.

First thing first...go to a doctor and get an opinion from a processional before starting any treatments recommended over in internet.

I started losing my hair a bit younger than you and same history: depression, stress, feeling like it was the end of my life, however I was able to hold it for a long time using fin.

By the time I turned 20 I started propecia and it worked great for 10 years (that's a lot of time if you think about it).

Sides only got to me when I turned 30 but now my hair loss is not as aggressive as it was 10 years ago so worst case scenario you can hold it for another 10 years or so.

In you case its extremely unlikely you will have to use fin (or any of the current treatments) for so long since there are many ongoing researches that are likely to make it to the market in the next couple of years so try to stay strong for now and think this is just a complicated couple of years before your HL is a thing of the pass

Quote Originally Posted by efedrez View Post

In you case its extremely unlikely you will have to use fin (or any of the current treatments) for so long since there are many ongoing researches that are likely to make it to the market in the next couple of years so try to stay strong for now and think this is just a complicated couple of years before your HL is a thing of the pass
    This is a huge assumption without much basis. If you want the best chance at keeping your hair, using a 5AR inhibitor like Finasteride or Dutasteride is really the only bet. Suppose 10 years from now there definitely would be a better treatment that would totally restore your hair. Would you want to have receding hair through the prime of your life only to restore it when you're about to turn 30 or maintain it until then and hope that something comes out one day.

As for side effects, I've personally had none at all with Finasteride or Dutasteride, and the majority of people taking at least finasteride, can say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonyx262 View Post
    This is a huge assumption without much basis. If you want the best chance at keeping your hair, using a 5AR inhibitor like Finasteride or Dutasteride is really the only bet. Suppose 10 years from now there definitely would be a better treatment that would totally restore your hair. Would you want to have receding hair through the prime of your life only to restore it when you're about to turn 30 or maintain it until then and hope that something comes out one day.

As for side effects, I've personally had none at all with Finasteride or Dutasteride, and the majority of people taking at least finasteride, can say the same.
    There are plenty of reasons to assume we will have a better treatment in the next few years.

However under no circumstances (as expressed in my previous post) I'm recommending to delay any treatments.

I'm simply pointing 2 things out:

1) see a doctor before jumping into any treatment and not simple because a guy on the Internet is telling you to
    2)if your are starting fin, that's fine but you can be optimistic as chances are you won't have to do it for the rest of your life

My apologies. I misunderstood. It just seemed like you were saying that you shouldn't take the chance because there will be something better maybe at some point.

And definitely see a doctor and get a prescription for Finasteride (if you want to go that route) and stay away from the internet pharmacies.

No problem buddy! We are on the same boat... I agree our friend should take actions on it.

Just wanted to keep an optimistic note for the future since a few interesting things are in the horizont