+ Reply to Thread

Post genuine baldness cure

So I've been thinning slowly around the temples for the last 2 years (I was f***** 16), And I've been thinking (I do that a lot as my username suggests (I am not bragging)) maybe we are addressing the hair loss problem with the wrong mentality and have been trying to cure baldness the wrong way. By going on medication and hair surgeries while waiting for a miracle cure we are acknowledging that hair loss is a disorder and should be cured sort of like cancer. (please don't take what I say next as an invitation to stop all treatment and all shave bald as that don't look good on most people just read the whole thing). Male pattern baldness has been a subject of ridicule and jokes in the media since forever. Woman can wear makeup and use creams if they have bad skin and it would be normal. But for men trying to combat a receding hairline it is looked at as a social disaster. woman can wear hair extensions and fake nails and they wouldn't be seen as fake, contrast with men who wear wigs (most of them at least since some men had successful used them like Sean Connery and Frank Sonatra) and in the media any sort of mention of MEN wearing toupees in the media is associated with ridicule and most probably a joke. If we tried to combat that mentality and start a campaign to spread the believe that men wearing hair peaces is a normal thing (I believe a lot of celebs will support that since a lot of them are secretly bald). Good Wigs are practically a cure if we can remove the stigma associated with them. I mean imagine a future where there is no double standard concerning the subject mentioned and it is okay for bald men to wear hair peaces without being ridiculed or criticized (only if do it correctly). I think being bald would not be much of a problem by then.

It would be sort of like before the civil rights movement the majority of the public believed in the separation between white and black people. But after that the media thankfully spread anti racist concepts and because of that racism has become an anomaly instead of the norm. Another example is something more modern as not all muslims are terrorists.

I totally agree with this!

This line of thinking relates to the debate on whether it would be acceptable to wear a gel cap 3 times a week for the application of the proposed Follicept treatment:

Societies perception is evolving towards 'metrosexuality' but I think it is a long stretch to imagine what you propose becoming a reality so late on...with the rate technology and the standard of beauty therapy is advancing, a hair piece will always be viewed as archaic and therefore not acceptable. They are a burden, the consumer wants a convenient solution.
    Ultimately bald men are perceived as inferior in our culture. To alter societies thinking towards it, would require a lot of time (evolution of fashion or thinking). It is akin to saying it is possible to implement an idealistic form of communisim...it has been proven to be ineffective but with a giant shift in consciousness, in theory, it is possible.

I don't think it would be a long stretch. If only celebrities came clean think the general public would be more 'accepting'.

I believe that the stigma associated with hair pieces is due to the reason that we only notice the bad ones. I've done research on 'Hair systems' and decent ones are undetectable to the eye, even to the hand if you are using a fine Swiss or skin lace. and how is that comparable with wearing a gel cap 3 times a week. You wear a put on a piece and forget about it for 3-4 weeks and then reapply the adhesive, nothing too much.

I meant what you are talking about is comparable to the debate on whether it would be socially acceptable to wear the gel cap or not. Imo it would be much more acceptable than wearing a hair piece, which are 'alien' and an effort to maintain. Not to mention psychologically, the person wearing it will still 'know' that they are concealing an issue, and will never feel truly comfortable with themselves. The direction of developing treatments that will regrow a person's own hair back is a forward one...what you propose would be nice and if that was the case I would probably wear a very small partial piece now.
    I don't know anything about systems but ultimately it is a step backward and not the solution I would be looking for

Yes obviously a full blown miracle cure would be the best news we can hope for. But sadly it will always be '5 years away'.