+ Reply to Thread

Cool Can extreme stress trigger MPB

Hey, im only 23 and have never had any issues with my hair previous to this period. In December 2014 i started an EXTREMELY stressfull exam period which has last all the way to march. I have had many symptomps of stress like, eyes drying out, red skin rashes, feeling of extreme stress and hair loss. I started shedding hair in early february and i am continously shedding. I feel a tingling sensation in my vertexes and at the back of my head, i wonder if this period might have triggered male pattern baldness? My fater has an extremely good hair at the age of 60, and my hair also looks like his, any advice or thoughts? I lose about 10 - 12 hairs while showering and usually have 5-6 hair on my pillow case wwhen i wake up.

Yess

How should I proceed, would the next step be Propecia? Or could it dissappear when the stress is completely dealt with?

A stressful exam period is prob not making you lose hair. You getting hit by a car and barely surviving it, then going into hospital and undergoing several surgeries, something like that COULD result in hair loss due to stress.

Whether or not stress can trigger mpb, don't think so. I'm not a doctor though. You could make an appointment with your dermatologist if you're very worried.

What do you think can be the explination for the increased shedding and the tingling in the vertexes and crown of the head then?

I consulted a dermatologist, he said it was du to serboritis dermatitis, but i dont think serb derm can cause hair loss or tingling.
    My doctor thinks its the stress or anxiety that is causing it

I would truly appriecieae to hear your thoughts on it

First, I think you should be honest with yourself about how EXTREME the stress was. Was the stress mixed with anxiety and depression? Were there physically symptoms as a result of the stress (involuntary shaking, lack of appetite for prolonged periods (days/weeks), increase of heart rate, insomnia, headaches). How long did this stress last? days? weeks? months?

It was truly extreme as i had 2-3 months where I was constantly stressed about exams. The first physical syptom i experienced was a complete dry out of my eyes, i couldnt watch a pc screen for more than 10 minutes without feeling sick, nor could i even go out the door as it could be too much of a strain. Then there were red skin rashes over my body. Entire head being on fire, especially my scalp. I have had panic attacks where intense surges of energy and my entire body heats up. I had also a lot of anxiety and depression in this
    period as i was anxious about the exams and very displeased about my entire situation.

About the worry part, im currently at a mental clinic and have quit my studies - so i take it quite seriously

Its certainly possible for stress to be the cause.

A quick google search about the link between stress and hair loss will return a lot of results and a lot of good information on the subject.

I believe I am currently suffering from hair loss due to stress. My dermatologist told me the hair in the MPB area are more prone to stress hair loss than those on the rest of the head. Now that you are currently suffering from the loss, you have to immediately remove the stress triggers.

Have you experienced any hair shedding prior to this stress?

I have not experienced any shedding prior to this stress - thanks for comming back to me so quickly.

The most important thing you can do right now is chill out. Stressing about your current hair loss will only make it worse. Its take time for the shedding to stop, and its going to take time to regrow the hair you have lost.
    Don't keep running your fingers through your hair pulling hair out. This will just stress you out more and make your hair look even thinner.
    it might not be a bad idea to talk about your hair loss with someone. A close friend/parent. It helps with the stress to talk about it.
    If you don't see a shedding decline in the next few weeks, I would visit the doctor again for a follow up.