+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Shaving head years after hair transplant...

Hey guys,
    I have been lurking on this site for the past year and would first off like to mention what a wonderful, well organized forum this is. I am one of those unfortunate victims of a poorly thought out hair transplant procedure, performed over 1.5 years ago. I did have a pretty thick head of hair before this procedure... You've heard it all before - I was naive, uneducated in the matter and bought into it...
    Here's the brief summary - I had 900 grafts transplanted primarily in the left hair line and left midsection of my head (the only place where it seemed to be thinning).. I had HORRIBLE telogen effluvium for almost 8 months after and my MPB really started to show it's ugly face...Essentially, the nasty side affects of this procedure threw me five years into the future. ANYWAYS, I now have one side of my head with only transplanted hairs (primarily 1's or 2's) that are spaced evenly but too far apart and the other side that is balding natural (there is still hair, but it is thin.)
    MY BIGGEST QUESTION: Who on here has had hair transplants implanted only in certain areas of their head? Furthermore, when you shaved your head, what experience did you have? When shaved down to the 0 or 1 guard, do you feel that your transplanted hair appears obvious? I know for a fact that there are others on here like me and I sincerely appreciate your time and advice in such a traumatic, perpetually devastating situation... it has been a hard road and while I am excited about the potential of some of these treatments that are proceeding further into clinical trials, I also just want the option to be free again.

I am in a very similar situation as you and can understand your pain. I jumped into a HT way too early being very naive and with no due diligence done at all with a pretty unethical doctor. I had to get a second repair procedure with a different doctor to cover up the previous subpar work and fill in the natural receding behind the first procedure. When the back of my head was shaved for the second procedure, I can see the strong contrast where the doctor made the fue extraction. The scalp area in the back was a lot brighter than areas where no donor grafts were punched out.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Jamesst11 , Hi there!
    Thank you for sharing with us your experience!
    Sorry that you had gone through that bad outcome as you did.
    It is what it is bro! Times will get better as long as you stay positive.
    How old are you if you dont mind me asking , James'?

I wanted to let you know that, while my wife and I are on vacation next month(April 2015) , I will be meeting up with Dr. Wesley there in NYC.
    I dont know if you are aware of what Dr. Wesley has been doing via 'Pilofocus' .
    Ill say this much, that Dr Wesley is a very good man and may have an ingenious type of hair transplantation treatment available in the future.
    Once I come back home ,Ill share what I can here on the forum and on Spencer Kobren's Live Show.
    Stay POSITIVE James' !!

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Jamesst11 , Hi there!
    Thank you for sharing with us your experience!
    Sorry that you had gone through that bad outcome as you did.
    It is what it is bro! Times will get better as long as you stay positive.
    How old are you if you dont mind me asking , James'?

I wanted to let you know that, while my wife and I are on vacation next month(April 2015) , I will be meeting up with Dr. Wesley there in NYC.
    I dont know if you are aware of what Dr. Wesley has been doing via 'Pilofocus' .
    Ill say this much, that Dr Wesley is a very good man and may have an ingenious type of hair transplantation treatment available in the future.
    Once I come back home ,Ill share what I can here on the forum and on Spencer Kobren's Live Show.
    Stay POSITIVE James' !!
    Would be interested in getting your feedback upon your return but I highly doubt a minimal scar procedure could save those who already went through a fue procedure.

Asianguy,
    I am sorry to hear about your experience as well... it sounds quite similar to mine, however, I had FUT. I had this procedure done about 1.5 years ago and my hair went COMPLETELY down hill ever since. Yes, it's kind of funny that most HT doctors market FUE as scarless, especially some that are using the larger punches. I wouldn't consider the back of your head riddled with white dots as scarless.

I must say it is so damn sad and disheartening to become a victim of something we usually watch on T.V., like cosmetic surgeries gone wrong. It is even sadder that for some reason the main chain clinics are rarely held responsible. I am tired of it. For just a few grand they can knowingly destroy a good persons life... and by that I mean, they KNOW of the potential side effects, but no one would buy what they are selling if they disclosed them. It makes me sick.

Thanks Artista! Yes, I have read about what he is doing. We will see when that comes to market.

Asian guy... have you shaved your ENTIRE head yet? If so, what is the contrast between the transplanted grafts and the native hair? Is it obvious?

Hi,
    So are you considering another HT to even up both sides and rebuild your frontal third?

Another HT would be a horrible idea at this point. I went from a really thick head of hair to diffuse thinning. Lost about 60% of my hair in 1.5 years. I don't know the direction my hair loss will continue. Especially now that I have added nizoral 2% in the past 2 months and fin in the past 10 days. I don't know what the hell to do, but my hair looks dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesst11 View Post
    Asian guy... have you shaved your ENTIRE head yet? If so, what is the contrast between the transplanted grafts and the native hair? Is it obvious?
    I got my first procedure done about 2 years ago and I've never shaved my entire head but after the first year post OP I buzzed everything short with #2 guard wondering why it was so hard to style my hair forward like I used to. Turned out all the corners were angled up instead of naturally forward. If I were to shave everything without a guard, you would definitely see the different contrast in density and the mis-angled hairs growing at different directions.

I went through the whole second year using concealers and growing my natural hair long enough to cover the corners and shaving most unnatural angles at hairline every morning until my second procedure with a different doctor.

Now after the second procedure I realize shockloss has been huge in my frontal half. That freaked me out and been feeling my worse right now. I'm 3 months post OP from my second procedure and although things are looking a bit better I still look worse than pre OP. To be honest though, regardless of the outcome of my second procedure, I would give up my entire life savings to go back in time and never go through a HT in the first place. I realize the person I've become and I hate the fact I have to worry about my hair all the time with nothing but regrets and shaving it all off isn't even an option now.