+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Likelihood of going bald?

I have already posted on here before asking if i am balding, the answer was no, but before i leave your forums i just wanted to tie up one more loose end that no one answered in my previous thread. My genetics. well lets start by saying that absolutely no men in all of my family have lost their hair at all except my maternal grandfather who started balding at 16 years of age. Now the men who kept full heads of hair(on my maternal grandmother's side), all have widow's peaks not the shape you get when balding i mean natural widow's peaks my maternal grandfather to my knowledge did not have a widow's peak.

Now for me i am going to tell you how i look and compare myself to my grandfather:

eye colour: mine is grey with a yellow ring(like the color on my grandmother's side) his: brown

Hairline: natural widow's peak. His: No widow's peak

Well basically i dont want to do a long list so i will just summarize with the fact i look the complete oppisite of him pretty much. i mostly look like my father and maternal grandmother and uncles. So with all this in mind am i likely still?

Here is a picture of my front hairline in more detail:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20150311.JPG

Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	37900

An allele for a particular genetic trait can be passed on from either side of the family. What this means is that just because your eyes resemble your mother's side, doesn't mean your hair has to be from your mother's side. It could come from your father's side. What's important is that your hair is good for now. Just take up normal hair care. If people hair say you're good, trust it, like I do, because they speak out of a lot of knowledge and experience. Don't get paranoid for no reason. GO DO STUFF THAT MATTERS.

Quote Originally Posted by lelma View Post
    An allele for a particular genetic trait can be passed on from either side of the family. What this means is that just because your eyes resemble your mother's side, doesn't mean your hair has to be from your mother's side. It could come from your father's side. What's important is that your hair is good for now. Just take up normal hair care. If people hair say you're good, trust it, like I do, because they speak out of a lot of knowledge and experience. Don't get paranoid for no reason. GO DO STUFF THAT MATTERS.
    thank you for your advise but my hair does resemble my mother's side though, but not the side with the bald man my grandfather it resembles my maternal grandmother's brother's hair and his is as you know not balding one bit. All I was asking was that even though my hair resembles the hair of the men who kept it could my grandfather's genes heck even my father's genes(although no baldness on his side either) still interfere with it. Also with this in mind do the number of bald people in the family tell you how strong the gene is? Cuz the only person in my whole family who was bald was my maternal grandfather not even his brother or his father lost their hair.

That's completely unpredictable. That is something that you will have to wait for time to tell you. Take my case. One side on my family is not bald while the other side is. For now according to members of this forum, my hair is good. I will only know which gene I have inherited only in the future because as of now I am a NW1 (THankfully) and because I am only 17 years old. Similarly, you, a 16 year old guy, will know only in the future. No use of worrying about it as of now.

Also, A GENE COMES FROM ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE FAMILY. There's a dominant gene and there's a non-dominant gene. There can NEVER be a mixture of genes. Only one is exhibited. So you're chances are 50/50 like many other teenagers with baldness on one side of the family.

That's completely unpredictable. That is something that you will have to wait for time to tell you. Take my case. One side on my family is not bald while the other side is. For now according to members of this forum, my hair is good. I will only know which gene I have inherited only in the future because as of now I am a NW1 (THankfully) and because I am only 17 years old. Similarly, you, a 16 year old guy, will know only in the future. No use of worrying about it as of now.

Also, A GENE COMES FROM ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE FAMILY. There's a dominant gene and there's a non-dominant gene. There can NEVER be a mixture of genes. Only one is exhibited. So you're chances are 50/50 like many other teenagers with baldness on one side of the family.
    Ok so I get it but i was thinking since theres only one bald person wouldn't that make my chance lower than 50/50? But I get it also BTW i am 17 like you and my grandfather started showing signs at 16.

Go read up on Genetics and heredity. And then decide your odds for yourself. You should probably use a similar cross table to the Mendel cross but that would involve a ennumerous possibilities. As I said, no way you can know which gene you have inherited. But if you really want to work out your probability, use the mendel cross but for more alleles. That would take a humongous amount of time. Chill out, your hair is fine for now.

Go read up on Genetics and heredity. And then decide your odds for yourself. You should probably use a similar cross table to the Mendel cross but that would involve a ennumerous possibilities. As I said, no way you can know which gene you have inherited. But if you really want to work out your probability, use the mendel cross but for more alleles. That would take a humongous amount of time. Chill out, your hair is fine for now.
    Alright thanks i think my question has been answered, but judging by how i look i would say my dominant genes are on my maternal grandmother's side anyway but thanks i am not worried anyways

What is the point really your either going bald or your not. If you say you had great odds of not getting MPB and still start going bald what was the point? Just deal with what you get its not like MPB has no treatments. In another 5 years it will be much less a problem its just that awkward time between first gen/next gen treatments.

My genetic history...

>Dad
    bald
    >Dad's dad
    bald
    >Mom's dad
    bald
    >Many of mom's uncles
    bald
    >Me
    29 in June, still NW1, can't see any signs of balding

I really worry about losing my hair but from what I can tell right now I'm fine. Is it just a matter of time given my lineage or is there any chance in hell I'll keep my hair?